Small Project Design

Expand all | Collapse all

Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

• 1.  Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-17-2015 11:25 AM

It is clear through the posts regarding Bill Clinton being selected as the keynote speaker for the AIA convention, that both the AIA and most of it's members, have no idea about politics or architecture.  As a members of the AIA for the past 16 years and the owner of a small architectural firm that mainly designs residential projects, I am fully aware of the damage that Bill Clinton specifically, and other politicians generally, have wrought on my profession.

The AIA has done a poor job of representing our profession, and by extension, promoting our profession to the public.  I have been on the fence about renewing my membership in this organization for the past few years...mainly due to the 40% cut in fees exeprienced by the gutting of the housing market, but now because of the lack of leadership and squandering of money.

It is sad, that a licensed profession such as ours: can't get proper fees, has no respect in the business world as a business, has ceded most of it's power to the building industry, etc.  There is an obvious tendency to only portray Architects in advertising as visionaries, artists, and anything else other than licensed professionals.  As a LICENSED PROFESSION, we perform a vital service that creates value for our clients (both aesthetically and financially), protects the health, safety, and welfare of the public, and maintains the quality of our built environment.  Architects have been marginalized to such an extent that the only value we provide is to be one left holding the bag with all the responsibility and none of the profit.

Sorry, the idea of wasting money, that I don't have, to go to a convention and listen to a useless keynote speaker, that doesn't speak to anything regarding the advancement of this profession, is something I can justify.  Also, I will be thinking long and hard about trying to justify renewing my membership in this organization.

-------------------------------------------
    John Brower AIA
    Principal Partner
    Dugasz & Brower Architects, Inc.
    Woodbridge NJ

• 2.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-19-2015 11:14 AM
    As I read through the posts, it becomes clear that the majority of the members do not agree with the selection of Bill Clinton as the keynote speaker.  Many disagree that a politician who is stumping for his wife should not have been invited.  I tend to agree.  It makes me wonder just who the decision maker was that selected this speaker.  If those that think he will be speaking about his global initiative and will impart some wisdom during his speech, then if that's what you want, just go online and read about the global initiative.  We don't need to pay $250K plus to hear him tell us something that you can read for free.  Yes, Bill Clinton was and is a bad idea for a speaker at our convention.  I will NOT be coming for this very reason.

David Wulff AIA
    AIA, LEED-AP
    David H. Wulff, Architect, Inc.
    Lake Lure NC

• 3.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-20-2015 05:45 PM
    There are so many reasons that former President Clinton is the wrong keynote speaker. Here's one more :

The Bill, Hillary, Chelsea and His Royal Highness King Salman of Saudi Arabia Clinton Foundation

Richard Becker AIA
    President
    Becker Architects, Ltd.
    Highland Park IL

• 4.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-20-2015 06:32 PM
    Can't you people find something more important to talk about ?  Is this just a site for gripe sessions ? 

Robert Larsen AIA
    Principal
    Robert R. Larsen, A.I.A.
    Denver CO

• 5.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-23-2015 06:17 PM
    Thanks for the post Robert, I couldn't agree more!

Tracy Pratt AIA
    Manager
    Tracy E. Pratt, Architect, PLLC
    Greensboro NC

• 6.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-23-2015 08:43 PM
    Enough about Bill Clinton, but don't not go to Atlanta.  Visit this dynamic city.  Observe something of its culture and architecture, visit one-on-one with a products rep, visit with Bluebeam booth and lobby for a Mac-native version of this program, and go express your views about bettering AIA's Contract Documents software.  If as many of you are against Mr. Clinton as appears then a half-empty hall and a crowded lobby will send a strong message for next year.

What really has given me cause to respond is Bill Brower's comment below - especially paragraph 3.  All the issues he notes have no connection with Bill Clinton, or anyone else the AIA would invite to speak.  All of these issues are occurring at the micro level - one on one, you sitting across the table from your prospective client.  These issues, for the most part, are not going to be solved by the AIA.  For decades we (architects collectively) have said "yes" to practically every project that has come through the door.  We have been the one that, when the client balks, reduces the fee.  We are the ones who have shied away from responsibility.  If you are not one of those that is "guilty as charged", then great, keep up the good work.  If you are one of those that have been making the compromises that have perpetuated the death spiral, well then it's time for a change.  Not to sound trite, but it's time to say "no".  It's time to put quality before quantity.  The next time that prospect with over 500 stores across the US say experience doesn't make that much difference in his selection of an architect and you know he hires only the lowest proposal, no matter what the experience level, it's time to move on - and tell him why.  Tell him he's not going to get the benefit of your knowledge and the ability to make his delivery process better (i.e. reduce his costs).  Don't be silent hoping that the client will have an epiphany with the next opportunity.

For these aspects no amount of advertising is going to save this profession.  It is up to us to determine our future.    

Robert Schmid AIA
    Principal
    RCS AIRdesign
    Denver CO

• 7.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-24-2015 05:30 PM
    Thanks for the perspective, Robert.

To answer the question as to who signs off on the invitation to a keynote speaker, the answer, I believe, is the AIA President.  In this case, knowing Elizabeth Chu Richter, I can tell you that I do not see her as a "raging liberal", given she is from one of the more conservative states in the union (Texas.)  However, she clearly understands the value of architects to engage in political discourse.  Again, many of you have the perception that this will be a political speech.  I've been to many conventions and Grassroots and I can never remember any politician giving a political or campaign style speech.  

Walter Hainsfurther FAIA
    Kurtz Associates Architects
    Des Plaines IL

• 8.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-19-2015 01:02 PM
    Bill Clinton was President of the United States...!  He was elected by at least 1/2 of the people who vote.  He is a great man.
    Would you rather hear from George W.?  
    The AIA is the only organization we Architects have to promote ourselves to the Government or the Public...The price is worth every penny.  Who else speaks for us...??.

Nelson B. Nave AIA
    Owner
    Nelson Breech Nave, AIA Architect
    Kalamazoo MI

• 9.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-20-2015 06:05 PM
    It was stated:
                 "Who else speaks for us...??."

If Bill Clinton is a the best choice we have to speak for us, our profession is in more trouble than any of us have ever realized. 

It seems that the real problem is that the AIA selected a highly charged political figure.  If he were just a past president, that would be one thing.  A main part of the issue is that he is the spouse of a 2016 presidential candidate.  And no, George W. Bush would not be a better choice. He is the brother of a 2016 presidential candidate. 

Robert Smith, AIA
    Architect, AIA, LEED AP
    Talley & Smith Architecture, Inc.
    Shelby NC

• 10.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-23-2015 05:32 AM
    The only reason I am commenting here is to correct obvious misrepresentation of historic fact. Now, I am not going to base my argument on whether one likes our former two time president and one of the most relevant living presidents today or not. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But if you post your opinion for others to respond to or agree with at least have decency not to insult your colleagues
    intelligence.  

To begin with you sir may know of many reasons why Bill Clinton is a "Another Bad" choice for keynote speaker, but you fail to make your point by assuming that everyone should automatically agree with the point you do not make. So, please do yourself a favor and illuminate us on why he is such poor choice. 

On another unsupported and purely fictional shenanigan, Sean Catherall AIA writes " Actually, President Clinton did not receive the majority of the popular vote. He was selected by the Electoral College in two elections in which no candidate received a popular majority due to the number of votes siphoned off by Ross Perot. A majority of popular votes were cast against Clinton: 57% in 1992 and 51% in 1996.  I do not know where you get your facts, but history unlike fiction is verifiable my good sir! Next time just check your opinion at the door and do not lie to yourself or others. I mean do take a little time to do a fact check. It is not enough that you have heard these numbers and characterizations from you in-laws or maybe Fox News, you personally have the responsibility to check them! When there are three viable candidates like in those two elections you have mentioned, majority of vote is counted by each person on their own and not by some math voodoo you use i.e. adding the other two candidates percentages together to get the number you need!   

In 1992 President Clinton won 43% of the Popular vote against George H.W. Bush who received only 37.5% of the Popular vote and Ross Perot who received the remaining 18.9%. This sir is not an opinion but mater of historic fact. In 1996 President Clinton won the Popular vote even more decisively, 49.2% of the Popular vote against the Republican candidate Bob Dole who received only 40.7% and again Ross Perot an Independent who received only a 8.4% of the Popular votes. Now, we were not born last spring my good sir for you to think that if you just turned these numbers around Bill Clinton has not won the Popular vote. Look at the numbers and you would see a clear victory. So please sir, the next time you choose to comment on a unsubstantiated post make sure your substantiate your fact. Especially because you are speaking to your colleagues who can easily check what you have produced. I recommend you apologizing to all good colleagues whom you have insulted.

Ali Heshmati AIA
    President
    LEAD inc
    Husnes

• 11.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-24-2015 05:53 PM
    Hmm...I've never met either of you, but I believe that you are both good men, with great intentions.  But, to illustrate how ridiculous this is becoming, I'm thinking that Mr. Heshmati just confirmed Mr. Catherall's statement.  See below.  We are now beyond being civil to each other and into the world of SPIN.

Let's just accept that some of us have heartburn over Mr. Clinton speaking at the Convention (for many reasons, enough of them having been discussed here) and it's obvious that others admire our former president (again for many good reasons which have been well stated). It appears as though there is a chasm between those who would stand up for this man and others who would not.  Go to the convention if you'd like and don't go if this is a big enough issue to cause you heartburn.  I'm thinking we should leave it at that and see if we can stop the bleeding.

We have better things to argue about, like how the profession has lost so much ground in the over-all design and construction process.

Robin Miller AIA
    MSH Architects
    Sioux Falls SD

• 12.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-24-2015 06:21 PM
    You must be getting your facts from the same source I did because they agree completely. I did not question the legitimacy of Clinton's Presidency, nor did I say that he didn't "win" the popular vote. I stand by my opinion that he was not popular, as supported by the fact that he did not receive a majority of the popular vote. Instead, he received a "plurality" of the popular vote. 51% to 59% of the popular votes were cast for someone other than Bill Clinton, as confirmed by the numbers you quoted.

Sean Catherall AIA
    Senior Project Manager
    DAVE ROBINSON ARCHITECTS
    Salt Lake City UT

• 13.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-24-2015 07:24 PM
    I'm not going to the convention but I would be interested in hearing what Clinton has to say, and I think it is a good idea he was invited!

Christopher Craven AIA
    Christopher Craven Architecture
    Miami Beach FL

• 14.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-20-2015 07:16 PM

Actually, President Clinton did not receive the majority of the popular vote. He was selected by the Electoral College in two elections in which no candidate received a popular majority due to the number of votes siphoned off by Ross Perot. A majority of popular votes were cast against Clinton: 57% in 1992 and 51% in 1996. This is not to question the legitimacy of his Presidency, just the claim that his ideals and proposals were popular then or are popular now.

Whether or not the AIA speaks for American architects is a matter of opinion. To the extent that the majority of architects are AIA members and to the extent that the AIA listens to its members and acts according to the will of the majority of them, it would speak for us. I do not believe, however, that either of those conditions is true, leaving us with no organization that currently speaks for the majority of American architects.

Sean Catherall AIA
    Senior Project Manager
    DAVE ROBINSON ARCHITECTS
    Salt Lake City UT

• 15.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-23-2015 06:24 PM
    Having any politician - former Presidents included (with a possible exception for Thomas Jefferson, but he's not available) - as the keynote speaker at the National Convention, let alone paying a truly exorbitant fee, is totally out of character for the AIA I joined over 40 years ago. I would feel the same if the speaker were to be from the other side of the aisle. Politics and politicians have nothing to offer the membership other than partisan rhetoric, particularly when one's very controversial wife is running for the highest office in the next election.

Are there no architecture-related speakers available? I can think of dozens who would give the speech of a lifetime for half of $250,000; probably even for a tenth. 

It seems that the leadership and administration of the National AIA feels it is necessary to politicize an organization that scrupulously avoided such attachments for well over a century. Were it not for the fact that the vast majority of potential clients feel that AIA after an architect's name is the equivalent of MD after a doctor's, I would have resigned several times within the last 5 years.

Richard Garfinkel AIA
    Architect
    Richard M. Garfinkel, AIA, Architect
    Sarasota FL

• 16.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-23-2015 09:30 PM
    It seems to me that getting the architectural community (via AIA)  into the the stream of things is about recognizing our leaders and engaging their participation in our activities. It doesn't matter what the politics are, you cannot find a political figure who would muster up approval, especially from some architects. Elitist, holier than thou, and unsupporter of any point of public view practitioner, we don't in the humble profession.

We need folks who to work at relating to the world as it is. Embrace the political world for what it really is - us - not what you want it to be or imagine it should be.

Get off the high horses guys and show some respect for this President and others. They served the country more and better than I ever would, and probably you too. I would be proud to have any President them speak at my club - how cynical have we become about our country?

Allen E Neyman
    Rockville, MD

• 17.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-24-2015 06:43 PM
    Since neither Bill Clinton nor Hillary Clinton currently hold elected or appointed office, it would be a stretch to refer to them as "our leaders." They are only leaders to those who accept their idealogy.

How do the Clintons exemplify "embracing the political world for what it really is" since neither of them have been elected to any public office in the past 10 years? Or is it corruption (the Clintons' and others') that we are supposed to embrace as part of the new political normal? Corruption is what has created a climate of cynicism and anger.

Sean Catherall AIA
    Senior Project Manager
    DAVE ROBINSON ARCHITECTS
    Salt Lake City UT

• 18.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-24-2015 02:51 PM
    So, who is upset that Cirque Du Soliel is the second keynote?  After all, they don't have anything to do with architecture and they're even foreigners.  

Walter Hainsfurther FAIA
    Des Plaines IL

• 19.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-25-2015 06:06 PM
    Keynote speakers are very often (if not typically) not 'in the field' of the group they are speaking too.  (I'm pretty sure Walter is being funny so I'm not really responding to his comment).  They should have some sort of interesting perspective or celebrity to themselves to bring an interest to the meeting.  They do set the framework/theme/tone for a convention/meeting - but that does not mean they have to be in that field.  IOW - they don't have to be in architecture.  

Every convention needs to have a different theme.  You cannot have it be about "furthering the profession' every year (that is sort of implied) and expect people to be interested enough to show up every year.  There are certainly lectures/events dealing with that aspect - get involved with that part of the convention.

Bill Clinton will most likely not talk about politics too much (except to the extent that almost anything has some political context to it).  

Thomas Fallon AIA
    Benner Stange Associates Architects, Inc.
    Portland OR

• 20.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-26-2015 09:10 AM
    I could not agree more with the comments of Mr. Brower! I will not be renewing my AIA membership this year because the AIA has very little, if any, to do with the true practice of Architecture! I am sick of going to AIA Conventions and listening to politicians! 
    I would love to go to a convention and hear a small town architect talk about the problems we face just making payroll, or how to budget their time based on fee, or how to afford printing drawings, or how to pay the insane price tag for AutoCAD or Revit!

Jonathan Carn, AIA, LEED GA
    Bradley, Schmidt & Carn Architecture, PLLC
    Dothan AL

• 21.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-26-2015 06:55 PM
    Mr Carm:

Not sure how many conventions you have been to, but, except for the hour long keynote speakers, this is exactly what takes place at Convention.  There are over 200, I think, learning opportunities available, many of which are geared towards small practitioners.  In addition, you have 3 days to discuss these kinds of issues with your fellow architects.

The value of AIA membership is in those connections, not in who the keynote is at a convention.  The business of architecture isn't in the cost of the tools, it's about our clients who, in some cases, are government officials or others that we get access to thanks to the AIA.  And, to reinforce a point I made earlier, convention is a stand alone profit center.  No dues are used in putting the convention on. It's paid for by sponsors, exhibitors and attendees.  Your goes to support research like the Architects Billing Index, Housing Design Trends, etc., and infrastructure like this that, when used correctly, gets you access to information and discussions with other practitioners who share.  I'd invite you to look at discussions like the one ongoing about Autodesk subscriptions on this forum. And that's just nationally.  What would happen if AIA Alabama didn't exist or be your voice in the capitol?  Would there be a licensing law at all?  Would we sit idly by and let others further erode our practices?  

Perhaps it's not easy to find these things out, but if you look (hard enough), I think you would see that the AIA does quite a bit for all of us, even small firms like mine.

Walter Hainsfurther FAIA
    Des Plaines IL

• 22.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-27-2015 11:31 PM
    Dear Mr. Hainsfurther,

Thank you for your your continued efforts to confront and illuminate the number of misrepresentations and distortions that have been hoisted upon this forum by some members that in my view, fall into the "Gallup Organization's" definition of the "Actively Disengaged".....as referring to those within an organization that attempt to actively and negatively undermine rather than promote and engage in the same organization of which they are members.  The actively engaged members are the ones addressing the future and are carrying our organization forward for the benefit of all AIA members, and non-members.  We need them and their efforts.

For myself, while I have only attended 3 conventions during my architectural career, each and every one has been energizing and inspiring and totally worth the time and effort to attend.  You get out what you put in and I stand in respect of those who are able to both work at their jobs and donate time to making the AIA a better organization.

As for claims that the convention lacks programs directed toward the small architect, well, that's just not true in my experience.  If there is a particular topic that a firm or individual wants to receive, they have the opportunity to proactively work with the AIA and Knowledge Communities  to try to get it included in the venue.

Thanks again for your support and efforts.

Richard Skorick AIA
    Studio Form
    Tokyo

• 23.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 03-02-2015 05:44 PM
    Sounds like a precursor campaign run for the White House.  This is the best we can look to for future inspiration.  Pass the Washington cool-aid around 
    I'll sit this one out I am driving.
    Thank You 

Martin Hero AIA
    Hero Architects
    Forest Hills NY

• 24.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 03-03-2015 05:28 PM
    Everyone knows how powerful the Architectural vote has been. Just look at how well we've positioned ourselves in the world of politics and legislation. We could singlehandedly elect Hilary. Plus, who wouldn't want to have a first lady named Bill?

When will the Clinton belly aching end? 

Eric Rawlings AIA
    Owner
    Rawlings Design, Inc.
    Decatur GA

• 25.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-24-2015 06:01 PM
    To all involved in this discussion forum ... and reading the comments.  I finally had to respond briefly to this post (I held off as long as I could), but to no particular individual or post.

I have to admit, I COMPLETELY understand the opinions that have been conveyed here on BOTH sides of the discussion.  It could be said that this is a bad call to some, a good call to others, and a questionable call to some ... at best.

What bothers me in several posts is the recurring comment that "politics and politicians" have nowhere at Convention, in Architecture, or in dealings or discussions with Architects.  As Chair of the AIA Center for Civic Leadership, a Citizen Architect, an elected official in my town, and someone who is involved in their local community, both civically and politically ... I believe it is absolutely wrong to take this stance. To me, and many others that I speak to regularly in our profession, THAT IS ONE OF OUR BIGGEST ISSUES!  If we are not at the table, then we get left behind!

Architects, and the skill sets we bring to our communities and society, are vitally important ... if we do not get the attention of our elected officials (i.e. politicians) or our government (i.e politics), then we lose.  For a better description of what I am talking about, review the efforts of ArchiPAC, the Grassroots Conference coming up next week, or the numerous percentage of our 83,000 AIA members who are involved in politics that are making a difference. Or, read the mission statement of the Center for Civic Leadership: "... to advance leadership among architects to promote livable, healthy, sustainable, and qualitydesigned environments for future generations through community participation and advocacy."

Whether you are in favor of, or against, President Clinton speaking at Convention, do NOT think that politics and politicians have no place in our profession.  It may be the only way we end up surviving as a profession.

F. Michael Ayles AIA
    Principal
    Antinozzi Associates, PC
    Bridgeport CT

• 26.  RE: Bill Clinton - Another Bad Idea

Posted 02-25-2015 07:04 PM
    Good people, the selection of Mr Clinton as a keynote speaker is more likely the result of something that has nothing to do with his political service.  As you may know, he is the frontman for the Clinton Global Initiative and we, the AIA, have a commitment to the "100 Resilient Cities Centennial Challenge" as a partner with CGI through our Regional Resilient Design Studios.  This is a $100,000,000 initiative in building urban resilience worldwide.  It is an incredibly ambitious program focused on community building on a global scale, of which WE SHOULD BE THE CENTER OF. This is only one of so many architecturally focused initiatives that the CGI has spearheaded.  Despite your political affiliation, sometimes, just sometimes, topics of discussion aren't politically motivated, racially charged, or self promoting.  They're just a reflection of milestones being met in the process of world making, and prospering the architecture profession.    

James Jose AIA
    CEO/Principal
    path21 architecture
    Denver CO