Small Project Design

• 1.  B-105 "Design" Definition

Posted 04-23-2014 06:21 PM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Small Project Practitioners and Practice Management Member Conversations .
    -------------------------------------------
    I recommend every architect have a AIA Document D200-1995 "Project Checklist", and review all that has to be done before the Schematic Design phase of services begins.  It seems clear - at least to me - that "design" begins during Project Programming of the Pre-Design phase (see page 10 of D200), as the following tasks are listed: create a departmental interaction matrix; create a room-by-room interaction diagram; create a bubble diagram of the departmental and room-by-room interaction matrix with important relationship rankings; determine the Owner's spatial requirements; determine preliminary structural, mechanicla, electrical and other engineering systems; create horizontal and vertical diagrammatic block plans with relative spatial requirements, identifying all rooms, corridors, and vertical circulation and providing exit analysis; review the diagrammatic block plans and program with the Owner; and obtain the Owner's written authorization to proceed [to the SD phase of services] .  There are also site analysis tasks that have to done prior to beginning the SD phase.  My experience, however, is that many architects begin "designing" floor plans and elevations before they have a signed Agreement with the client, skipping over most of the pre-design and site analysis tasks listed in D200.

Larry Whitlock AIA
    Architectural Specifications Writer
    Pflugerville TX

• 2.  RE:B-105 "Design" Definition

Posted 04-25-2014 08:11 AM
    Larry,

Your plan sounds all well and good, but not every project can follow that type of linear approach - especially small projects and better yet, small residential projects. Your suggestion sounds good for a hospital or large corporate facility or one with a complex program.

I think Adam Trott's comments are more grounded in reality and work with most project types. Similar to Adam's comments our contracts are also typically written so that there are fee portions associated with each of the phases (SD, DD, CD, BD and CA).  We provide a basic list of tasks and exclusions with each phase, but those too are not that clean in operation with small projects.

I don't think the definition is clear to us architects, but remember in a legal situation, the law typically defines words by the "main and plain" understanding of the word and not the expert definition. If you asked your client how to define the design period they would likely not extend it into CD's as most of us architects would. They would also describe it as the "big idea" I would guess.

Lee Calisti AIA
    Principal
    lee CALISTI architecture+design
    Greensburg PA