Small Project Design

• 1.  Revit irritates me in so many ways, but I gotta give one AttaBoy/AttaGirl...

Posted 07-19-2013 10:23 AM
    ....... to the software developers at Revit. 

(In the south where I practice, it takes 15 AttaBoys/AttaGirls to make up for one AwShucks or the more colorful version used in less dignified conversations.  Revit needs a ton of AttaBoys/AttaGirls to ever come close to making up for its boatload of AwShucks.)

I put a "fill" of vertical lines on a west elevation to serve as a base for the elevation drawing.  Sort of a section elevation look.  I copied the fill, went to the east elevation, clicked on "Paste in exact same place" and, walla, Revit mirrored the paste without me having to manually do it.  Revit played nice with me today and I want to brag on it so maybe it will do this more often.

Other opportunities for AttaBoys/AttaGirls (in case anyone from Autodesk ever looks at these posts and cares at all about their customers):

1.  When you create a 2x4 lay-in ceiling (Reflected Ceiling Plan) in a room, it is obvious that the Revit software folks never did one of those in real life.  The grid lines automatically centers in the space AND the long dimension of the 2x4 tiles runs in the same direction as the long dimension of the rooms.  In my practice, lay-in ceilings are usually between 8' & 10" AFF which means the space between fixtures is usually 6' or 3 tiles.  Either a fixture or a tile is always centered in the room.  We also always run the long dimension of the grid across the short dimension of the room to avoid making the room look longer and skinnier than it is. If anyone at Autodesk cared, just like they automatically mirrored the paste from one elevation to the opposite one, they could have the default for 2x4 ceiling creation to reflect real life.  Then, only occasionally, would a situation require me to manually rotate and shift rather than having to do it in every room in every Revit project like I do now.  This has been "suggested" to Autodesk year after year after year with no results.

2.  I realize this may be a little harder to do, but I sure do miss the "hit space bar to repeat last command" ability in Autocad.  That is one keyboard shortcut that I still yearn for and I have owned Revit for 9 years and been doing Revit exclusively for six years.  Mousing and scrolling to click on the same damn command over and over is really irritating.

3.  Just give Revit some basic site tools.  Quit acting like the Civil Engineers will never buy another Autodesk product if any decent site tools are included in Revit.  You let us Architects put light fixtures and columns and beams and toilet fixtures in our projects without having to involve the damn engineers before they need or want to be involved, why not do the same on the site?  Most Architects end up not even using Revit for the site drawings, getting them done in house or eventually when the civil guys DO get involved letting them do it and inserting a PDF of their sheet into the print set.  How in the world can Autodesk claim to offer the owner/contractor/whoever full BIM models of projects if they won't let Architects do the basic site work.  Again, in the real world where most Architects practice, on most of our projects Civil Engineers don't want to and are not needed to be involved in laying out parking, sidewalks, setbacks, curbs, and basic site sloping design details.

Come on Autodesk!  Make Revit play nice more often! 

-------------------------------------------
    Darrel Odom AIA, LEED AP
    President
    Odom Peckham Architecture, Inc.
    Little Rock AR

• 2.  RE:Revit irritates me in so many ways, but I gotta give one AttaBoy/AttaGirl...

Posted 07-22-2013 05:37 PM
    Good afternoon Darrel,

The Autodesk people "play" with their product. We work with it to earn a living. That is the difference...and why they don't get it.

Clifton Strickland III AIA
    Architect
    Strickland Architects and Associates PC
    Virginia Beach VA

• 3.  RE:Revit irritates me in so many ways, but I gotta give one AttaBoy/AttaGirl...

Posted 07-22-2013 11:07 PM
      |   view attached
    Darrel,

Not sure if I can help much here but let me suggest a soulution that may work for you. I certainly agree that being able to  paste to same place is one of my favorite tools in Revit when I am working in elevations, either interior or exterior. AutoCad had the similar function in "place to original coordinates" but I find the Revit version to be slightly more intuitive/relative to the actual view you are looking at.

But on the ceiling issue can't you simply change/make the pattern associated with the Acoustic Ceiling Tile to be a new pattern that is 48" x 24" instead of the 24" x 48" pattern that comes with Revit OOTB. When I've done that Revit then places the tile with the long edge of the tile perpendicular to the long wall.  I then have two ceiling types; one 2'x4' and one 4'x2' (see attachment of a screen capture). Depending on the room I just switch between the two ceiling types to get the layout I want. If you ever need to adjust/fine tune the exact placement of the tiles within a room after that you have the generic layout one can always use the align tool and guidlines associated with your preferered fixture layout to get it just right.. 

And I missed the space bar as well but I programmed my Logitech mouse to have the thumb button act like 'enter' when using Revit. This starts up the last command I was using. Easy enough fix for me that I don't miss the space bar at all.

And I completely agree with you on the site tools. They are dreadful. Autodesk needs to fix them but that has been on the wishlist forever.

If you haven't had a chance to, defititely  visit forums like Revit Forum (http://www.revitforum.org/) or AUGI's revit forum (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?93-Revit). Both have real Revit  experts/users that are generous with their time and advice. The search function is the first place I start whenever I have a question about how to do something.

Anyway, not sure if that helped at all. Revit mystifies me often but I hope some of the above clarifies a few issues for you...............

Rgds,

Dean Cretsinger AIA
    Architect
    Ballard Mensua Architecture