Custom Residential Architects Network

Expand all | Collapse all

Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

• 1.  Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-12-2014 04:53 AM
    Like many residential architects, we are using the Houzz website to promote and expand the audience for our work. I was dismayed to realize that Houzz lumps architects and building designers into the same category on their website on the Find a Pro page. As you scroll through the lists of names, you see incredibly skilled architects listed well below and interspersed with unlicensed designers. General Contractors, Kitchen Designers, Home Builders, and Design-Build Firms each have a separate category. I know that Houzz uses various algorithms to determine the order in which firms are displayed - it is another Facebook-like popularity game - but to not even separate licensed architects from draftsmen is a pretty deep insult. The AIA and Houzz announced a new strategic partnership a few weeks ago (http://www.aia.org/press/releases/aiab104185). It is disappointing that this was not brought up as an issue when the AIA had the people at Houzz's attention. I am going to poke my rep at Houzz about this and see what comes of it. I'll report back here.
    -------------------------------------------
    Ken Parel-Sewell AIA
    Principal
    One World Architecture, LLC
    CRAN March AIAU Course

• 2.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-12-2014 09:03 AM
    Hi Ken,

CRAN has been indirectly involved with this new relationship from the very beginning.  This exact issue is a complicated problem for them to resolve (I have heard their position personally), but one that AIA national and CRAN is both equally very aware of, and we hope to improve through our future relationship. It is high on my personal list of goals.

Dave
    CRAN National Chair

David Andreozzi AIA
    Barrington RI

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 3.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-12-2014 01:40 PM
    Hi David,

Thank you for the response. I am curious what they said to you. I don't understand what is complicated about it. Homeadvisor, a competitor of theirs, has this sorted out. Any firm wanting to be listed as an architect on Homeadvisor has to provide a copy of their license before their listing is taken live. This isn't complicated. I am not suggesting that building designers have no place there, just that it should be a different place than an architect's. I haven't asked them myself yet, so thank you for offering any insight into what they said to you before I do. 

As residential architects, we often have to directly compete with building designers. I would hope that if you separated these two professions on the Houzz site, it would be very apparent where the real talent and skill lies. Wouldn't it be great if Houzz was helping us make the case for our profession instead of saying essentially - Ah they both design houses, what's the difference?

Kenneth Parel-Sewell AIA
    Principal
    Louisville KY

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 4.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-16-2014 10:38 AM

My argument is what difference does it make? You have to compete with them, anyway. If the category is called "Architects and Building Designers".... it is not a violation. It is not a violation of law if a client refers to you as an architect if you are not a licensed architect if you aren't calling yourself one. Sure, you can tell them a 1 hour spew..... but lets get right at it.... building designer is another word for architect and architect means designer of buildings since 1500s to late 1890s --- mid-1900s. The modern statutory definition is less than 100 years old. Licensed architects perpetuate a fraud by calling themselves architects because they are not master builders. They don't build what they design. Architect is anglicized of the word from Greek which means "Master Builder". Arkhitekton. 

The official title of licensed/registered architect is "Licensed Architect" or "Registered Architect" as it appears on official license certificate.

How about we require licensed/registered architects to display their license just like the licensed construction contractors instead of fighting over the word 'architect' that somehow a group of AIA lobbyists back 100 years ago illegally bribed the state legislators to fabricate these title and practice licensing laws. That is a subject of its own discussion for another time.

Regarding Houzz, I have reservations about websites co-mingling the data. The question is, really should we protect the word "architect" or protect the official title as listed on the license and require state licese like OBAE: _______________ much like construction contractors such as in Oregon such as CCB: ##########.

We know the licensed people by the official state license #.

In the meantime, I am with everyone that building designers should take every effort possible to not cause misrepresentation including quotes of reviews where the feedback is in the designer's direct control to be posted. Especialy in a website where you manually put that information on to your site. A feedback without direct control and editing is another matter from which our licensing boards needs to be mindful of.

The violation comes from the person referring to himself as an architect not a third-party. After all, if we get down this road, should we be citing fines to the estate of every architect prior to licensing law or dead building designers such as John Yeon every time a third-party person attributes him as an architect. Is it his fault?

Especially over a dubious title law.

Lets be reasonable..... is what is most important. I'll have to go check how they categorized me on Houzz.

Richard Balkins, Assoc. AIA
    Building Designer / owner
    Richard W.C. Balkins, Building Designer
    Astoria, OR

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 5.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-13-2014 06:54 PM
    I have had the same issue with HOUZZ and have spoken to them directly about this issue.  They really do not seem to care whether they are allowing residential designers to be linked with architects.  First I have to say that I find HOUZZ a valuable tool to help communication between a professional and their client.  I spoke to them directly about adding a new category for us, but they felt it would be too confusing for the marketplace.  My comments were originally from the beginning of this year and I am glad to see that they have since added the ability to add "Badges" now for professional affiliations, but it is not enough. 

In reading a HOUZZ article forwarded me by a new client, I noticed that one of the residential designers that I compete with was referred to by the author as an architect several times.  I went to this designer's HOUZZ account and noticed that although he did not say he was an architect, most of the reviews by his clients all commented on how happy they were with their "architect", how he was one of the best "architects" in town, etc.  I subsequently contacted the State Board of Architects to verify that he was not licensed, and alerted them to the fact that by allowing his clients to review him and use the word "architect", and not correcting their reviews, he was perpetrating a fraud.  Turns out that he was already cited by the State but has not replied.  I would suggest that any time you see a reference to an unlicensed individual being called an architect, contact your local state board.  If the AIA will not help us, our state boards seem willing to.

I have sent letters to the AIA as well about this, but National does not seem to be as worried as we local practitioners are.  It is tough to compete with these residential designers as they are willing to work for well under what the market should bear.  I don't think that the AMA would allow a similar situation if there were unlicensed people allowing themselves to be called a Doctor without a license behind them.  National needs to be standing up for us or else there is no reason for this professional organization to exist.

Mark Bufalini AIA
    President
    Collaborative Design Group-Architecture & Interiors, LLC
    Houston TX

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 6.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-14-2014 03:50 AM
    Thanks for your adding your voice Mark - I agree with you completely.

There is such a simple solution: first, change the name of the category to "building designers". Second, inform all users that if they are licensed architects, they may log into their profile and change their designation to a new category "architect". If a building designer does this, they will have to answer to their local state board for doing so. Houzz doesn't have to do anything but create the category on their website, send out an email to everyone, and give us the ability to set the appropriate category. State boards are the watch dog. Not hard. Landscape architects and interior designers should demand the same. 
    We used HomeAdvisor for a while and they verified our credentials.

It isn't a technical problem. It is a political/business problem: They clearly don't want to alienate the building designers and draftsman on the site.

The obvious question to me is: why do we allow this to stand and not speak as a profession to defend our name? Why isn't there a call from the AIA or even this network to change this policy? Why don't we try to speak with one voice for something as simple as this? We can't even convince entities we see as allies to respect us? The strongest hands choking our profession are our own.

Kenneth Parel-Sewell AIA
    Principal
    Louisville KY

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 7.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-15-2014 06:04 PM
    Another approach: ask AIA to advertise for "Certified AIA Architect residential practitioners" on Houzz. Point out the superior services to obtained. Maintain the presence of AIA logo on the site. If we are only competing with other practitioners, and deserve special attention, no one understands better, why we are better, than our AIA. It's that simple.  

Allen E Neyman
    Rockville, MD

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 8.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-15-2014 06:06 PM
    I have had the same conversation with Houzz. Got the same answer. "You house people are all the same to us"

This is something Houzz should fix out of respect for our profession.  At some point the architectural community  will have to pressure Houzz to change and respect our profession  as distinctive from other designers. Maybe by exiting their website. Sad to think of because I have clients who have found  us thru Houzz and I so enjoy looking at the great work architects are doing around the country.

We should pressure AIA the same way to fight for us as they are paid to do. NCARB as well.
    What if all AIA architects who's practice is based on residential work were to hit the I decline to renew button  for AIA at one moment in time. Say on renewal day. Do we that would put a dent  in AIA sales and would it mean anything to them? Them being the paid staff.

Maybe join ArCH. A group that is dedicated to support of residential architects.

Donald Duffy AIA
    Don Duffy Architecture
    Charlotte NC

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 9.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-16-2014 09:55 AM
    I'm only speaking in general terms here (not directed at you Kenneth), as this discussion seems to be a common reoccurring theme amongst Architects. Number one, most residential designers are servicing clients that can't afford a 5 figure fee for an instruction manual. Very few middle income earners or upper middle income earners can afford the type of fees we expect for the level of service we feel is essential for our participation in a project. Most of us have made a decision to alienate the majority of residential clients because of our expectations of the client, yet we often seem to blame everyone but ourselves for not understanding the realities of the business.

Most people don't care if you have a license, they only care about the projects you have built and what people think of you as a person to work with. Just because one artist went to the best college, does that mean a self trained artist can't amaze people just as well? Our license shows our level of commitment to our trade, it's not an automatic anointment from a higher power that grants us some special privilege. If you can't compete with residential designers, then maybe you need to look at your business model, maybe your designs aren't resonating with your market, or maybe your license simply didn't give you the talent you hoped for.

If a residential designer is undercutting your fee and "stealing" work from you, it's likely that they are also offering a reduced scope of services that the client can afford. In many cases you might be offering Porche services to a Honda owner. Most of us are middle income earners and could never afford our own fees, so doesn't that tell you something? I've managed to grab a large portion of "Average Joe" work by playing the designers' game better. Although I still charge more for my services, people hire me over the designers because my work stands out and I appropriately gauge my fees based on the client and their budget to keep me competitive. I've managed to meet many builders that want to do a better job and they are often regarded as teammates, not adversaries. I was fortunate to have construction experience, back when you could earn a living wage doing that sort of work. I learn from the builders about what they are capable of and how to maximize their potential by working within their limitations to push the envelope. My strategy is to use the same pieces and parts available to everyone and just arrange them better. Many of us try too hard to reinvent the wheel, use products or require techniques that are more commercial grade or new to the market, and worst of all many of us design things without understanding how it can be built. "They'll figure it out in the field." We have a nasty reputation for doing this.

One thing many of us fail to understand is the difference between a total fee per project vs the amount of dollars we actually earned per hour. Some of my smallest total fees earned me the most money per hour and my highest total fees always seem to yield the fewest dollars per hour in the end. If a middle income earner can't afford your full scope of services from basic permitted drawings to finish selection to construction administration, does that mean they don't deserve a good design? You know, this is about 90%+ of all residential projects. If this is your expectation, then do you really have the audacity to wonder why things are the way they are? I've had several Architects on this site offer the opinion that providing limited scope services is some sort of sin against Architecture and some even believe it's illegal for us. Most people only need a good idea and a permit. They can't afford anything else and they will hire the person that is willing to fulfill their needs. If you only sell Champagne, and all they can afford is a beer, then maybe you should expand your inventory to include better beer? I know we'd all like to protect our clients from the horrible builder and themselves, but I'd rather give them a fighting chance to do something nice rather than to exclude my participation from the get go. If all they can afford is a good idea and permit, I'd rather it be mine. 

Eric Rawlings AIA
    Owner
    Rawlings Design, Inc.
    Decatur GA

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 10.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-19-2014 05:20 AM
    Thank you Eric
    You comments are just exactly what needs to be said.  No project is too small and no client is to poor to get less than the best architectural services we can provide.  We have to meet that challenge.

We do need a discussion on what we are being expected to submit to Building Departments, Architectural Review Boards in their efforts to "protect the Home Owner" from bad architects and contractors. Huge sets of drawings do nothing to make the project better, they just use a lot of paper. When the projects are under construction, the first part to be forgotten is the requirements from these submissions.  Thoughtful designs that are followed thru in the construction process by including the Architect, Owner, Contractor and Building Inspector can provide the most successful projects. And most satisfying for all with good recommendations to follow.

Ann Dunning AIA
    President
    Ann M. Dunning, AIA, Inc.
    Chagrin Falls OH

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 11.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-20-2014 06:37 PM
    Ann and Eric,

I would like to know how we got off the subject of residential designers portraying themselves as licensed architects in a public forum like Houzz?  You both are discussing our creativity versus theirs, our billings versus theirs, what the common man should pay for architectural services and that was not the subject of this post.

The subject of this post was whether Houzz should allow an unlicensed residential designer to portray themselves as a licensed architect and had nothing to do with the quality of work that residential designers produce.  A lot of the residential designers that I compete against are VERY talented and when all is said and done, it is my creativity and talent that clients hire me for and admittedly, not because I am a licensed architect.  But I worked hard to get a degree from a university, interned with licensed architects and took examinations to prove myself worthy to be licensed by several states and call myself an Architect.  I am proud to be a licensed architect and I object to those who call themselves an architect when they are not legally permitted to do so.

You both are licensed architects and members of the AIA and frankly it shocks me that after you both worked just as hard as I did to obtain your licenses that you would belittle that incredible achievement by saying it does not mean anything compared to a residential designer.  Why did you go through the process of education, internship and examination for a license that you feel should be given away to residential designers just because they have talent.  I can guarantee you that if residential designers could get a license like ours without our investment, they would, otherwise there would not be organizations out there like the AIBD to give them a medium to infer a similar credibility that our NCARB & AIA designations give us.  No matter what your feelings, for unlicensed designers to infer that they are licensed professionals is fraud and it should not be permitted, and Houzz is giving them a medium to infer just such a licensing.  Doctors are licensed and so are lawyers, would they allow their professions to be blurred on a website like ours is?

That is the purpose of this post, either you agree that an organization should not facilitate fraud or that the line between the unlicensed professional and those of us that are licensed should be allowed to be blurred.  If that is the case, then we have all wasted our time and money with an education, internship, licensing and subsequently continual dues to the state and national organizations that have licensed us. 

Lets stay on point with the Houzz issue for this post.  I would love to participate in a thread about talent, creativity, billings and architecture for the common man.  I have no problem obtaining clients, my rates are no more than the market will bear (mainly due to the lower fees charged by the residential designers), I adjust my rates to provide just what the client wants, I sell beer and champagne, but also have a fully stocked bar so I can give the clients exactly what they need at exactly the price they need to pay.  I have done 200 SF additions and 20,000 SF new homes.  Those are not the issues that I have with residential designers, it is the fact that they perpetrate an image of themselves that they are not legally entitled to portray.  That is the point of this post, not their talent or abilities.  But I will end with one last comment, if the title Architect did not matter to residential designers, why is it so important that they call themselves an architect to their clients.  The term MEANS something, and it should be protected. 

Mark Bufalini AIA
    President
    Collaborative Design Group-Architecture & Interiors, LLC
    Houston TX

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 12.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-21-2014 11:51 PM
    I believe I prefaced my comment with the fact that I was speaking in more general terms, but yes I did go a little off topic. What I was speaking about in general terms are the age old complaints about residential designers that sound more like insecure whining to the general public, which I find embarrassing. I feel there is a fine line that is often crossed when we sound like we think we deserve some sort of special treatment just because we have a license. Expecting special treatment and then getting very sensitive about it when you don't get your special treatment is the clinical definition of the behavioral disorder called narcism, which is not a very well beloved trait among the masses. I don't condone the misrepresentation of our title and I'm not sure where you got that from, but I also know that when you're in the public eye, it is better to prove yourself through your actions, not through pompous complaints and demands. 

When all of us decided to work in the residential sector, we all knew (or should have known) that we were venturing into an arena where our licenses are not required, unless you live in NY, NJ where structural engineers can also stamp residential plans. Houzz.com is not the Secretary of State and they cannot police the companies that misrepresent themselves. If you have a specific complaint about a designer you know is not licensed, yet uses the title Architect on a site like Houzz, then you must go to your State Board and complain to them, not Houzz. I know GA will fine someone on a per day basis until their offense is corrected. People constantly lie and misrepresent themselves in all areas of business. You will never put an end to the snake oil salesmen. This petroleum product is "green", this pill will magically make you lose 50lbs in a week, my video will give you 5 minute abs.

Eric Rawlings AIA
    Owner
    Rawlings Design, Inc.
    Decatur GA

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 13.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-22-2014 12:49 PM
    I'm with Eric on this. I don't condone wanton disregard of the licensing law but lets not start an inquisition or witch hunt lynch mob going out filing complaints to licensing boards without proper and due diligence. As a word of caution, it can be grounds for these people to sue you because it costs the people whom you filed complaint in both money (due to time diverted to address licensing board investigators) but also the heartache and stress caused which may reach a point where the courts may award the person a certain amount for the stress and emotional heartache which may have to come out of your pocket. 

Don't be fivolous about filing complaints. Do the due diligence. After all, you don't want the game to be spun on you all. Point is targetted to those who are looking to file complaints with licensing boards.

What is important is that you do some due diligence because it can come back to bite you if you don't. We also don't want to be filing complaints like some witch hunt lynch mob.

Since Houzz is not bound under any law in any state to only categorize people who are architects as those who are licensed. What amount someone who is practices as an architect where state licensing law doesn't apply. In addition, internet is not bound by state borders. There is no Oregon, California, Washington, Idaho, Alaska, Hawaii, Arizona, Nevada,..... in the internet. Only websites and web domains. The only government that would have any real authority over the internet in the U.S. would be  the U.S. Federal government since it was ARPANET. 

Since Houzz is interstate matter, wouldn't it be jurisdiction of the Federal court? Then again, there is the Terms of Use agreement of some sort which may define the court of jurisdiction. However, that is usually only apply to lawsuits between a party and Houzz. However, Houzz is not regulated by laws to categorize only licensed architects as architect. There is no such law. Since the category is called "Architect and Designers" or is it "Architect and Building Designers". In either case, it is up to the client to decide if they want o hire an architect or a building designer. Who is going to provide the services the client wants to pay for at the price level the client is willing or is able to afford "out of pocket" because none of the lenders allows their loans for construction projects to be used to cover design/engineering costs. In fact, the lenders don't disburse the money until permits are issued and only a third of it at the beginning of the project. It is a contractual violation to use the construction loans on design. Remember.... the ONLY kind of money available for new construction projects is construction loans. There isn't the grants. At least, not these days. They are far and few in between. 

They can't apply a mortgage unless they have collateral and if this is their first "home", there is a good chance that they do not have a million dollar property somewhere as collateral or any at all.

Clients do not really have the money to pay us top dollar fees that many of us would want because they don't have $100K+ income.

Some of you think if they can afford to pay a $500K project.... duh... it is going to be paid for over the next 20 to 40+ years. If it takes a little longer than the mortgage period... so be it. Refinancing and arrangements can be made provided they have been making good faith payments. In addition, their income increments over time with inflation. 

Most people who would be clients of building designers aren't making $100K+ a year. They aren't looking for Taj Mahal. If you want to be affordable, and get these sub-$100K income clients, you need to be affordable to their financial income capacity before they get the construction loan payments and subsequent mortgage when construction is complete. 

People can not afford to spend more than 10% of their annual income on any one thing such as us. After all, a third is taken up by tax man of federal and state. They also have their rent, their food and other living expenses. They may have children, too. That means we need to be affordable within their available budget. This is why we need to find a way to deliver services for under a $10K price tag when it comes to the average consumer or we have to have a multi-year payment plan such as 2-3 year payment plan. It matters because it would be a tough pill to choke down $35K in 1 year if they make only $75K a year.

Astoria, OR

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 14.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-25-2014 05:47 PM
    Some jurisdictions require that architects report everything they know regarding violations of the professional practice act. So, some architects have the luxury of withholding their report until "due diligence" is complete and others do not.

I also want to provide some additional perspective regarding design fees: If a real estate agent gets 6% of a home's sale price for the services they provide, I don't think a greater fee for the greater services we provide is out of line.

Sean Catherall AIA
    Senior Project Manager
    DAVE ROBINSON ARCHITECTS
    Salt Lake City UT

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 15.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-26-2014 02:57 AM
    Yes, you do. However, you only know of violations when you know something is a violation. You don't know that UNLESS you do due diligence and check your facts, check if the person is violating. There is no specified amount of time that you may withhold reporting to report such violations. You have all the time in the world. You just need to make sure you have enough basis behind your complaint to assure that you know. Sometimes the cases are much more clear cut quickly. A reasonable time is to report within 30 days of knowing a case IS a violation. You don't know that until you check your facts and check the licensing boards. Everyone has the luxury to have performed reasonable due diligence. 

You need to be careful to not jump to conclusions. On Houzz, if there is a way for you to contact the party, you can certain give a call and ask if they are licensed and what state and name (if necessary). Once you have that info, then you can see if there is a strong case of a violation and not frivolous. 

Frankly put, in almost every state, people drag their feet on reporting violation. Guys, do it all the time in regards to violations by a fellow licensed architect. How quickly would you rat on your own fellow architects for violating the law? I'm pretty sure you'll drag your feet if it was a fellow architect you know. My point is, yes, report a violator promptly only when you know the person is violating the laws of the architectural licensing. Just make sure you take every effort of due diligence to reasonable extent and level.

Just don't jump to conclusion especially in regards to something on the internet. Just don't be unreasonably frivolous. It is a waste of government resources.

Astoria, OR

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 16.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-25-2014 06:16 PM
    My Colleagues,

VALID LEGAL BASIS
    I believe that there is a substantial legal basis and responsibility for exposing the service providers that are not registered architects, but allow the presentation of their business to be assumed as such, or at least on even par with it.  State Architect's Boards and Departments of State exist to validate legal businesses, anything else is illegal, plain and simple.  The title of "Architect" is a legal title with valid penalties for fraud.

Please do not cheapen our profession by suggesting a sufficient system is one where we allow only market forces to decide who is qualified and who is not.  There may be exception here and there, but in general, such a proposition encourages a speedy race to the lowest level of service and resultant building stock.  A consumer would often stand in front of their sub-standard house and brag about the money they saved while the cheap structure brings down the value of the neighborhood and the house functions terribly.  That may sound grandiose, but it is in fact what happens all over the country already.  Most clients don't know what they don't know, and the design process illuminates them to understand why things are designed the way they are.  What helps perpetuate this is when architects provide a lousy service because of cost and thus become part of the problem.

Let's resolve to design a better world.  We are the only profession in the building sector that advocates this.  Don't let go, stand firm for the sake of our built world. 

Adam Trott AIA
    Owner
    Adam J. Trott Architect
    Erie PA

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 17.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-26-2014 02:31 AM
    My point is that the category of Houzz is "architect and building designers" but is the building designer violating architect law if they are not claiming they are licensed or is using the architect title. After all the database is consisting of architects and building designers. What if the category said "architect and engineers". Would you be violating engineer law if you are grouped in this category if you are not an engineer?

What about a category of architect and construction contractors? Would you be violating construction contractor laws if you are not licensed as one just by being categorized that way by the services? 

I think we need to be more careful about frivolously filing complaints because these complaints are permanent legal marks like a police record. What if the designer may want to be licensed in the future? Some states would require that they have to indicate ANY time they have EVER been under an investigation and have to do that with every single renewal. They have to do that even if the licensing board close the case on the judgement that no violation has occured. 

What if they are an architect under a jurisdiction like the Federal government or in another state than the state you filed?

Due diligence is required if you don't want the parties to sue you for frivolous filing of complaints to a licensing board and causing unreasonable stress and heartache. BTW: There is NO state that mandates you have to report a violation within a specified period of time. Even if they did, you need to KNOW it is a violation not think it might be a violation. 

Astoria, OR

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 18.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-26-2014 02:35 AM
    My point is that the category of Houzz is "architect and building designers" but is the building designer violating architect law if they are not claiming they are licensed or is using the architect title. After all the database is consisting of architects and building designers. What if the category said "architect and engineers". Would you be violating engineer law if you are grouped in this category if you are not an engineer?

What about a category of architect and construction contractors? Would you be violating construction contractor laws if you are not licensed as one just by being categorized that way by the services? 

I think we need to be more careful about frivolously filing complaints because these complaints are permanent legal marks like a police record. What if the designer may want to be licensed in the future? Some states would require that they have to indicate ANY time they have EVER been under an investigation and have to do that with every single renewal. They have to do that even if the licensing board close the case on the judgement that no violation has occured. 

What if they are an architect under a jurisdiction like the Federal government or in another state than the state you filed?

Due diligence is required if you don't want the parties to sue you for frivolous filing of complaints to a licensing board and causing unreasonable stress and heartache. BTW: There is NO state that mandates you have to report a violation within a specified period of time. Even if they did, you need to KNOW it is a violation not think it might be a violation. 

Astoria, OR

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 19.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-21-2014 09:00 AM
    I used to work full time for a commercial firm while operating a small moonlight business doing small residential jobs. I would overload the drawings with the type of information I was used to providing for commercial work. Over time I found that the reality of the residential sector, being a bit less professional than commercial, is that the Latino workers couldn't understand my details. It wasn't just the language barrier, but I found the average worker was just not used to visualizing what a wall section looks like. The graphical conventions we use to express these ideas are unfamiliar to many of the workers. I found that my designs were more successfully realized in the field when I began to design details using techniques and processes that were more familiar. The natural urge to stand out and make your work more exciting than the competition's work came easier if I just arrange the more familiar pieces and parts in a better way. Overly complicated details just seem to cause more headaches than they are worth when dealing with "Average Joe" type projects. I feel these should be saved for the clients who can afford a more sophisticated Contractor.

Many residential GCs rely on their subs to understand their specialty and communication often breaks down. In fact many of the GCs don't necessarily come from construction backgrounds. I have one that is a mortgage broker, a lawyer, a real estate agent, an anesthesiologist, and a former art teacher. Back in the early to mid 90s, when I was doing construction work, it was more common to see a crew of 5-6 guys who did everything except concrete, masonry, electrical, plumbing, and HVAC. The business owner (GC) was the one doing the most complicated and dangerous jobs. The framer hung drywall, laid tile, hung shingles, and they all swung a hammer, not a nail gun. So now we all swing mice and not pencils or pens. 

In the Metro Atlanta area, the requirements for permit drawings are pretty extensive. You can't just submit internet plans anymore. This has helped drive clients to find more professional services. Even some designers have difficulty producing such documents without hiring an engineer. With that said, there is still a gap between the less knowledgeable GC (who is typically more like an investor/ business person), the sub contractor, and their trades people. I started trying to keep my drawings a bit more simple and use 3D drawings when appropriate. Steve Jobs wanted an iPhone product that didn't need an instruction manual. I wish I could produce drawings with that philosophy, so I suppose I'm trying to say I've learned that in the right way, Less is More.

Eric Rawlings AIA
    Owner
    Rawlings Design, Inc.
    Decatur GA

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 20.  RE:Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-23-2014 09:18 AM
    Thank you eric, wish I had time for a lengthy comment but to simply say, as usual, you are right on. Keep up the commentary.

Thomas Wagner AIA
    Thomas B. Wagner, Architect
    Haddonfield NJ

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 21.  RE:Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-21-2014 09:33 AM
    Eric,
    This is spot on. We have devloped a business model we call Teirs. Tier one thru three. A colleague and competitor of mine helped us work out the modle.
    Tier one being reduced services with reduced cost. We call it just get me a permit. So it is design and permit level instrutcions. Not everyone needMIs full service nor wants full service.
    Demanding a project go thru the AIA traditional modle of service forces clients to look at other options. Like design build or a home designer. If architects are going to compete for the larger market of clients needing design services, architects are going to have to meet the customer at their level. Still delivering a professional level of service worthy to be called architectural service. And at professional level of charges as well.

Donald Duffy AIA
    Don Duffy Architecture
    Charlotte NC

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 22.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-21-2014 01:02 PM
    Good points from both Donald and Eric.

It should be noted that in a vast number of states that does requires a construction contractor license, there is a number of license tiers. For example, in Oregon, you have several tiers and two "endorsement" (basically you have commercial and residential) The residential endorsement tiers are allowed to do construction on residential and small commercial projects. The commercial endorsement (which makes the person a "commercial general contractor" (Level 1 or Level 2 tiers... each requiring a number of licenses). On the residential side (there is Residential General Contractor, Residential Specialty Contractor, and Residential Limited Contractor).

In all cases, the construction contractor does not need to have construction trade experience. Construction experience as far as the law is concerned does not necessarily mean being the tradesmen physically doing the work.

The tradesmen & laborers are the ones that does the work. There are two general types of contractors, there are the "bags on" contractor and the "paper contractor" (colloquial phrases to refer to the two general types of contractors (regardless of tier/endorsement licenses). The bags on contractors are those who do much of the work themselves. This is common because before there were contractor licensing, the people used to be called builders not contractor. They were non-licensed trades and people had to know there trades and often worked through the 'ladder' of experience from laborer up the  eventually foreman or construction manager and then to "master builder" or basically the principal or now called "RMI" of a licensed construction firm. Having a license is independent of being the contractor of a project.

Typically, the role of the construction contractor is business administration/management and project management. The contractor isn't the one doing the work himself/herself so much as knowing the business of construction. Just as in an architecture firm that the principals are often not directly involved with the actual design work of the projects in the firm. The contractor isn't necessarily as much involved in the actual construction. Ideally, the contractor should have a good sense of the trades and what is good and what is not work performed. At least some courses in the various construction trades including hands-on workshops should be something every construction contractor has behind them. However, that is not always the case.

The role of being the contractor isn't the same thing as being the construction tradesmen or laborers. In small construction firms and sole-proprietors, the contractor has to do some of the work themselves to get the job done and should know. However, he/she should know how to do certain trades effectively while working with (either via sub-contracted or through direct employment) skilled tradesmen who will also serve in direct supervision of less skilled laborers.

The question being is should the junior laborer be reading the plans.... no. Their supervisors supervising their work should be the ones reading the plans. Anyone who does the work unsupervised should know how to read and interpret architectural plans and specifications... at least to common national standards and be able to visualize the orthographic projections into 3-d real world objects.

However, this isn't always the case as we would like.

Astoria, OR

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 23.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-20-2014 11:03 PM
    Eric - What makes you think people "can't afford" architecture services when building a house?  

Unfortunately, most people have never hired an architect and they have very unrealistic expectations.  they think that because they can purchase stock plans for $750.00, custom design services by a licensed architect should not cost much more.   Never mind that the stock plans cost 10-20K to produce

They have little confidence in an architect's creative problem solving capabilities, and feel they must feed the architect a plan and some images.

They think as soon as they contact the architect, they should be able to meet (once) and have a set of plans in a week.

They think anyone who can create CAD plans is an "architect" ....and a license is some type of optional certification.  

Worst of all, they think of us as a plan service and not a professional service.  So, they are buying a commodity instead of a professional service.  They are embarking on one of the hugest investments they will ever make, and think that they come out ahead if they get the cheapest set of plans possible.

I can't tell you how many clients I have met that have homes they built less than 15 years ago that hate their homes!  Their homes are ugly and don't flow well.  Many times I ask who their architect was?  They respond that their builder took care of it.  For the few times when they do have drawings they look like a high schooler drew them!  Bare minimum!  

When people tell you they are going to spend hundreds of thousands,or millions on building their house, then tell you how much they expect for a set of plans, DON'T GO TO THEIR LEVEL!    They need to understand they cannot afford NOT to hire an architect!

If someone wants to use a stock set of plans for their home, fine.  But let's face it, they will never get THEIR house or the house that fits THEIR site.  Architectural services are a small price to pay for a house that is well thought out and well suited for a families needs.  

You get what you pay for!

Houzz is having a discussion:  "What you should ask an Architect before hiring them."  already an unlicensed designer has chimed in about no difference between architects and designers and architects having inflated fees!  Here is our chance to chime in and educated people.

Here is a link to the discussion.

http://www.houzz.com/discussions/1121528?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRouu63OZKXonjHpfsX56eokUa%2Bg38431UFwdcjKPmjr1YsHTcJ0aPyQAgobGp5I5FEASrTYVqxqt6APUg%3D%3D

Edward Shannon AIA
    Architect
    Imprint Architects
    Des Moines IA

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 24.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-21-2014 05:53 PM
    Edward - the link you have to that Houzz discussion took me to a general list of discussions. I wasn't able to find the one you were speaking about. Can you try to re-link to that specific discussion? I'd be very interested in reading the comments you were referring to.

Thanks.

Brenda Nelson Assoc. AIA
    Ankeny IA

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 25.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-22-2014 02:06 PM
    Brenda - For some reason today I am unable to paste the link in.  If you get on Houzz, go to Advice, then "Pro-to-Pro".  there you should find the discussion.

Edward Shannon AIA
    Architect
    Imprint Architects
    Des Moines IA

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 26.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-14-2014 06:15 PM
    Houzz.com is being quite disingenuous about this issue. On their page identifying general contractors, it includes this: "Questions to ask prospective general contractors:...Are you licensed and insured?" [among other questions] They could easily include a recommendation on the "Architects and Building Designers" page that Houzz users ask prospective designers if they are licensed to practice architecture. However, they do not. I suspect they are afraid of losing advertising revenue from building designers that are not licensed architects. And the AIA should stop cooperating with them.

Sean Catherall AIA
    Senior Project Manager
    Dave Robinson Architects
    Salt Lake City UT

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 27.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-14-2014 11:31 AM
    Unfortunately the real world does not advocate for architects on the merits that architects promote. Houzz business is about house design done mostly by non-architects. Houzz business is not about the architecture business, but architects are doing well by it, better than any other web based service that I've heard of. If they are promoting non-registered designers as architects, that may be a basis to contest, but not a battle I would invest in. Otherwise, it's the same old story, just clean up your presentation and make it look like the results of a "high level" design practice you have. The good news is that people are paying more attention to architects and recognize the credentials, if not design quality itself.     

Allen E Neyman
    Rockville, MD

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 28.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-17-2014 02:31 PM
    A lot issues are being brought up here that are tangential to the topic.
    The question is: if we care about how we are represented at Houzz, what should we do? I think that it is important that we speak with one voice. We could draft up a petition to the people at Houzz. If they understand that they have touched a nerve with architects, are creating resentment among some of their key clients, and that this is becoming a noisy and embarrassing issue - they should make the change. It truly isn't asking that much of them. The AIA should also be asked to support this petition. For that matter, we could reach out to our landscape architect colleagues, because the site does them the same disservice.

Kenneth Parel-Sewell AIA
    Principal
    Louisville KY

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 29.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-18-2014 05:37 PM
    I was surprised to hear Houzz doesn't note the difference between licensed architects and building designers given the fact they recently partnered with the AIA.

It sounds as if it will be a process to get this changed with them, if at all. Is there something we can do immediately to note there is a difference in our training? Can the very first sentence of your company description be "I am a licensed/registered architect in the state(s) of...)"? Or is there a way to add something to your company name, perhaps a secondary line which says "Licensed Professional Architect"? I see this as a temporary fix, but it seems that collectively, if all the architects made some type of similar note, we could create an identity within Houzz ourselves while waiting for Houzz to correct this issue internally.

Also, I believe there have been several different Ideabooks on what designers/architects do. Has there ever been one written about the differences between a licensed architect, an interior designer, a general contractor and a building designer? Maybe that's something that should be written if it hasn't already?

Also, to agree with Kenneth, I think we should not only partner with the landscape architects on this task, but also interior designers. I believe that a big group of people on Houzz could be called "interior decorators" which I believe anyone can be (and thinks they are). While an interior designer has training, education and testing components not completely dissimilar from architecture.

Brenda Nelson Assoc. AIA
    Ankeny IA

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 30.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-18-2014 05:52 PM
    Great post, Brenda. I concur with what you've said.

Tara Imani, AIA, RID, CSI
    Tara Imani Designs, LLC
    10333 Richmond Avenue, Suite 150
    Houston, TX 77042

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 31.  RE: Houzz doesn't care if you are licensed

Posted 08-20-2014 11:43 AM
    I received a call from my Houzz "rep" this morning promoting marketing plans that they offer. I told my rep that I would not work with them because I object to the equal status the site grants to Architects and residential designers, and I explained in my own words why that was improper, a disservice to the public, and a disservice to our profession. I made clear that I felt Houzz's goals and interests do not coincide with Architects' goals and interests, and until that changes I could not support them.

Anybody that takes exception to Houzz for this reason should be doing the same. The AIA will only take this up if it is clearly the prevailing position of its members. But they can only do so much. 

Houzz's offices are located in CA, and frankly the Board of Architects in that State should begin the effort of reviewing Houzz's web site closely. Any instance of "architect" or "architecture" associated with a non-licensed residential designer should be cited, and penalties set out on Houzz. All Architects should organize such an effort with their own State Board to apply such penalties for violations. This effort does not have to place any undue burdan on the State Boards. They simply need to clearly explain the issue to their member Architects, and provide a reporting channel. We all know who is violating the law in our local markets via misrepresentation on Houzz. All the Boards need to do is set up the channel for reporting, and the "leads" will flow in.

Gregory La Vardera
    Gregory La Vardera Architect
    Merchantville NJ

CRAN March AIAU Course