Custom Residential Architects Network

• 1.  Caught in my own Modernity!

Posted 12-10-2012 02:01 PM
    Built in 1990, a house I designed when starting out in practice just came on the market. It looks as good as it did when the owners moved in. It boggles my mind that the real estate agents wouldn't mention that the project was architect designed. Hello! http://www.residentialproperties.com/property/16869985/9-Oak-Hill-Drive-Lincoln-RI-02865 

The design was deeply inspired by Villa Stein Le Corbusier Garches (suburb of Paris), France 1926 - 1928 http://larryspeck.com/2010/05/10/villa-stein-villa-de-monzie/

A link to video http://www.residentialproperties.com/Videos?video=B94F57EF13

Yes, I am getting old.

-------------------------------------------
    David Andreozzi AIA
    Owner
    Andreozzi Architects
    Barrington RI
    CRAN March AIAU Course

• 2.  RE:Caught in my own Modernity!

Posted 12-11-2012 08:28 AM
    Like a fine wine, you and other architects are not getting older; you're getting better.
    And yes; real estate brokers should mention the architect.  My wife, who is a real estate broker in western NC Does note when myself and other architects have designed the homes she lists and sells, because around here, brokers believe that adds value to the home being marketed.  I will ask her to consider mentioning this to the real estate commission as a suggested addition to the various parameters in other areas as well.

Rand Soellner AIA
    Architect/Owner/Principal
    Home Architects
    Cashiers NC

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 3.  RE:Caught in my own Modernity!

Posted 12-11-2012 09:38 AM

Just to be clear, in most cases I am lobbying for credit.  In this case it only surprised me because it could possible help sell the house. Its free info... why not?

David Andreozzi AIA
    Owner
    Andreozzi Architects
    Barrington RI

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 4.  RE:Caught in my own Modernity!

Posted 12-11-2012 12:24 PM
    David,
    That sure is a beautiful house and I hate to say it, but if you think you're disappointed for the agent not mentioning you, just wait until you hear what it appraises for. I've had it out with a few agents in the past about not mentioning me, but mentioning the builder. The story I often get is that mentioning the Architect makes people think it's over priced. My response is always that they are pricing it high and not mentioning me is like forgetting to mention it's a 6 bedroom house and saying it has 4 bedrooms. Agents can be very nasty toward us because many of them want to think they are responsible for shaping the neighborhoods into their vision. They like to be treated like the Oracle of Delphi. They tell all the builders what to build based on what people are buying. The truth is that their vision of the future is always based on the past. We design the future! I work with a few spec builders on unique spec houses and before we move on to final drawings, they always ask the realtor's opinion of the plans based on what people are asking for. This information is very valuable, but they often try to play Architect with my designs and convince builders to do rather dumb things based on how they would sell the house rather than what people really want. I had to fight a few of them on the idea that the minute you open the front door, you should be able to see the whole house and the backyard. This may sell houses in their mind, but most clients don't want the sketchy guy wanting to mow your lawn to see everything you own in one eyeshot when you first open the door. They also want to open the master suite door and see the whole bedroom, thus placing the closet and bath on the back. This kills the view of the backyard and gives parents no buffer to get decent if the little one pops in the door, scaring everyone for life. In the famous words of George Costanza, "I always wanted to pretend I was an Architect." People resent us because they want to be us.

Eric Rawlings AIA
    Owner
    Rawlings Design, Inc.
    Decatur GA

CRAN March AIAU Course