Housing and Community Development

Expand all | Collapse all

Media Opportunity with HouseLogic Re sound proof windows

• 1.  Media Opportunity with HouseLogic Re sound proof windows

Posted 06-13-2014 12:56 PM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Custom Residential Architects Network and Housing Knowledge Community .
    -------------------------------------------
    A writer preparing a piece for House Logic.com would like to speak with a residential architect who has worked with soundproof windows - she wants to know if they really work and if there are any other insights on the topic to be aware of.

Her deadline is Monday (6.16) - if you can speak to this topic before then, please let me know.

best

Matthew Tinder
    mtinder@aia.org
    Manager, Media Relations
    The American Institute of Architects
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: Media Opportunity with HouseLogic Re sound proof windows

Posted 06-16-2014 05:48 PM
    Just as there is no such thing as a fireproof building, there is no such thing as a soundproof window.  There are however many, and very good, acoustical windows that reduce outside to inside noise.  To be effective both the outside noise level and the quietness to be achieved inside must be determined.  From these, the reduction level windows can be concluded.  As to effectiveness, we had one apartment project that had to meet a 40 dB reduction from outside to inside and could have no operable windows.  The result was dwelling units that were so quiet that the owner received resident complaints about background "white noise" from within the units.
    If the writer would like to communicate directly with me, I am open to that.  As an AIA staff member, I assume you have access to my contact info.

Craig Hess AIA
    Elness Swenson Graham Architects, Inc.
    Maplewood MN