Interfaith Design

Prayer Spaces in Corporate Settings

• 1.  Prayer Spaces in Corporate Settings

Posted 07-21-2014 06:27 PM
      |   view attached
    I work for a Christian non-profit that allowed me to design a space for prayer as a part of a larger expansion. As I suspect is often the case for a space such as this, it was an odd-shaped left-over space in a good location, but not designed for this purpose. It was our task to convert this space into a prayer room to be used for large and small gatherings, as well as individual prayer times.

We were able to incorporate some interesting features, such as stained glass, even though the exterior was already glazed. We simply created freestanding screens of stained glass that stand in front of the existing windows. this has a nice dimensional effect that I like better than having the stained glass installed in the wall. Stained glass also effectively separates the small space designed for individual prayer from the large space for corporate prayer.

Frosted glass screens mark the entrance with a scripture message in keeping with our Christian mission as a non-profit religious organization. We included a memorial wall to give opportunity for people to make tributes to loved ones and their heroes in the faith in an appropriate manner that fit with the decor and setting. Since the ceiling is relatively low, we created a small area of pitched ceiling in a lighting cove to give some depth to the room and relief from the monotonous ceiling plane. The rest of the space is relatively plain except for some stained wood trim.

It was an enjoyable project and it has proven to be a feature in the building that many enjoy.
    -------------------------------------------
    Gary Nicholson AIA
    Director
    LifeWay Architecture
    Nashville TN
    -------------------------------------------