Custom Residential Architects Network

Expand all | Collapse all

CRAN Plaque

• 1.  CRAN Plaque

Posted 10-10-2012 02:19 PM
    I think this is a great idea. One problem I foresee is that of Contract Administration. Oftentimes my clients decide not to have me provide CA for my projects (to save money, of course) and end up with a building that isn't built exactly as shown on the plans for one reason or another. Somehow we would have to insure that the documents on record with the house reflect reality.  One way would be to add language in the contract between Owner and Contractor requiring that the Architect conduct construction observation and certify that the building conforms to the drawings. 

-------------------------------------------
    A. Atkinson
    A. Gordon Atkinson, Architect
    San Francisco CA
    Jain us at AIA24 for practice-related sessions! June 5 to 8, Washington, DC, click here to learn more.

• 2.  RE:CRAN Plaque

Posted 10-11-2012 08:18 AM
    Hello Gordon, yes; you are absolutely correct.  This happens all the time.  But there is really no way to compel clients to pay for a service not required by code or law.  That would simply make our quoted fees that much higher, which could result in not making a sale, and I for one would rather have 75% of something than 100% of nothing.  We could all explain the benefits of the Cran Plaque and CA services, but ultimately our clients would have to make that decision. 

Rand Soellner AIA
    Architect/Owner/Principal
    Home Architects
    Cashiers NC

Jain us at AIA24 for practice-related sessions! June 5 to 8, Washington, DC, click here to learn more.

• 3.  RE:CRAN Plaque

Posted 10-11-2012 10:43 AM
    It would be a worthy goal to have the Construction Contract guarantee our "paid" involvement during construction (note the paid part), however I'll venture that it's highly unlikely as many contractors prefer not to have the Architect around checking their work and meddling in the project (their sentiment, not mine).

I have been following the CRAN Plaque thread, and while not sold on the idea for practical reasons, there is nothing to say it must be put on every project one does. Why not just the plum projects with the great client - better chance it will work as intended.

Andrew Fethes AIA
    President
    Andrew Fethes Architects PA
    Oradell NJ

• 4.  RE:CRAN Plaque

Posted 10-11-2012 01:10 PM
    Like Gordon, I am a bit concerned abut the limited service projects too and inability to have a lot of final information.  I think that the system needs to be flexible enough to allow only the name of the architect all the way through operational manuals with the name of every sub and supplier/material. Perhaps a section on the services that the CLIENT chose could be listed so that those who looked at the information on line would not interpret it to be a less inferior architect or design. We don't want to make the required information to be so burdensome that no one follows through.  A disclaimer that CA and/or as-builts were not provided would seem appropriate.

Debra Rucker Coleman, AIA
    Architect
    Sun Plans Inc.
    Mobile, AL

• 5.  RE:CRAN Plaque

Posted 10-11-2012 01:16 PM
    At our semimonthly CRAN meeting today we approved that we develop this concept for proposal to AIA National. I will update you with information as it develops.

Dave

David Andreozzi AIA
    Owner
    Andreozzi Architects
    Barrington RI

• 6.  RE:CRAN Plaque

Posted 10-12-2012 09:17 AM
    I think the plaque is a great idea, but what are we really trying to get out of this? Are we trying to make sure people recognize these houses as higher quality designs because they have a plaque or isn't this already obvious? Like most houses designed by Architects, mine definitely stand out in a crowd of lousy, not well thought out, amateurish boxes. A plaque would help the passerby to immediately see it was different than the rest, but it has to be seen. If this is the case, then it is something that could be removed in the future by an unsuspecting future homeowner who simply doesn't care.

If we want a building to be identified by as ours by people who shop for houses, then we need to petition MLS and FMLS Realtor database websites to show this info. These sites are the primary means used by agents to advertise and find houses for sale. Buyers and Agents could do searches based on the Architect. We could track our sales data, crack down on Designers calling themselves Architects, and for the first time Appraisers would have a database that shows how well our houses sell compared to the "others". As it stands now, no one knows which houses resonate with the public in terms of sales because no one is tracking this info. Nowhere in the Uniform Standards for Professional Appraisal Practice "Bible" nor in any of the course books I've read on Appraisals do they mention the importance of who is designing and building houses they value. This info is completely ignored. In every marketplace in the world, the manufacturer who makes the products is the most important piece of info when determining the value of their next product. You don't value the next BMW based on how the Honda and Ford just sold. If the same database the Appraisers already use to dig up info on houses they value had a trackable means to determine the sales history of Architects, Designers, and Builders, then there would be an argument for using a consistent sales history as part of the means to determine value over simply averaging a bunch of "comparable" houses built and designed by companies of different quality, business models, and end results.

Lastly, when we talk about houses not coming out exactly like we drew them, this happens more and more as you work with people of less and less means. Often we place more importance on design expression than practical, constructible solutions because wealthy owners can afford 90% pretty, 10% practicality. If we are to provide services to a variety of people at different income levels, we can't expect everyone to bend their needs and means to our business models designed for people of the highest means. We need to adjust our business models to their needs which may not include CA and may require us to understand who we're designing for and give them appropriate solutions that will be built correctly. When part of the point is creating something similar to an "owner's manual" that lives somewhere with the house, like in an electrical panel, I think of all the houses I've renovated that may only be 30-40 years old that have had major overhauls. Electrical panels, HVAC equipment, and any other location is never a safe place. Nowhere is safe! As we continue to advance building science, we will be replacing these items at an even quicker pace. I renovated a house that had a relatively recent 100amp panel that was upgraded to 200amps and I doubt these subs would take the care to make sure an "owner's manual" didn't end up in the trash. I just don't see how an "owner's manual" can be safe anywhere.

Eric Rawlings AIA
    Owner
    Rawlings Design, Inc.
    Decatur GA

• 7.  RE:CRAN Plaque

Posted 10-12-2012 10:01 AM
    I think a Ferrari is a well designed car and can be recognized as such. However, they still put their logo on it as a branding opportunity.
    That being said and in support of the great ideas presented here, I would think that your idea of getting the info into the Realtors info listing is important as well.
    Coke has a website, but they still put their logo on every beverage container and pay for the product to be used in movies and every other opportunity they can dream up.
    Sure, homeowners could remove a plaque, but I don't think they would necessarily do that with a plaque designating their home as a Frank Lloyd Wright designed home. I'm not FLW, but I'm proud of the thought and care I put every building design I do and some website where those issues are outlined I think would be of interest to a house buyer/resident, to say nothing of the fodder it could become for the Realtor selling and reselling the house. Something beyond just the amenties list as well as practical user manuals, dates of equipment installations, etc. that homeowners have to sign off on when selling a house. Information that would be critical to buyers evaluating and comparing to other buildings that don't have an identified information database. "Show me the HouseFacts!" (and the owner's manuals)
    I would be very interested in what ideas FLW put into every one of his designs. I don't think we should be mute about ours, given the opportunity to be informative. When I give tours of my designs; people are very interested in my rationale and thank me for taking the time to explain where the design came from and, I think, it broadens their appreciation for not only my designs but also the building profession as well. I am proud of my being able to deliver a thoughtful, practical building for any budget whether a kitchen remodelling or a skyscaper or a bookcase millwork project. I think design/build contractors would appreciate the opportunity to reveal their solutions in building as well as the design( and getting them to help fund the effort seems a natural extension of a collaborative team approach). We all want our names associated with a successful project as often as possible) I know I take a lot of time making sure the construction follows the design intent and greatly appreciate and respect the artisans who put my designs into actuality.
    As I step down off the soap box, let me add my appreciation to those others expressing what a great forum this is.
    Peter Brinckerhoff AIA, LEED AP
    President
    Brinckerhoff and Associates LLC
    Glenview IL

• 8.  RE:CRAN Plaque

Posted 10-15-2012 07:45 AM
    Good Morning, Peter, thank you for your thoughts. 
    We are moving forward with the plaque ideas and including the names of the original owners (in small font), as an inducement to allowing the plaque to be installed in the first place, and having the architect naming each house (in the largest font) with a "concept" name rather than by owner name, so that subsequent owners will hopefully leave the plaque there.  For instance, one of my previous projects was named "Window Rock." And you are right on point with the architects describing their design concepts: that would happen on the CRAN-AIA project database.  The plaques themselves are intended to become a CRAN-AIA branding, much like your Coke example, that then allows your clients and others to call up the CRAN-AIA Project Database record, where they would find all the information that the architect records there. Each architect would be encouraged to include whatever data he or she feels is important and we will likely be including a suggested outline of subject headings for each firm's consideration.  Ultimately, it will be up to each project architect to input the data. 
    All my best,

Rand Soellner AIA
    Home Architects
    Cashiers NC

• 9.  RE:CRAN Plaque

Posted 10-16-2012 10:43 AM
    Thanks for reminding us Eric of the importance of acceptance and inclusion in the MLS listings. And I think to increase our chance of being accepted, we should also broaden the base to include at least AIBD (American Institute of Building Designers) lest we be seen as trying to serve too narrow of a group. In my earlier ideas related to this we would have a listing for Architect/Designer then with several boxes to choose such as:
    AIA Licensed Architect
    Licensed Architect
    AIBD Designer
    Draftsman
    Home Owner
    Engineer

Debra Rucker Coleman, AIA
    Architect
    Sun Plans Inc.
    Mobile, AL

• 10.  RE:CRAN Plaque

Posted 10-17-2012 08:27 AM
    Hi Debbie,  my own feelings about AIBD is that they water down and confuse the public (perhaps intentionally?) who are largely not aware of the difference between licensed architects and those that are not.  I do not believe that it would be in CRAN AIA or RA best interests to acknowledge questionable entities that attempt to marginalize what we do.  As far as MLS listings and what is included in them, if we add value through this program, that will begin to happen naturally, because real estate brokers will want to include things in their listings that support the prices being asked.  No amount of petitioning will likely result in progress, until the program has a chance to be positioned on some homes, THEN we can start pointing this feature out.  In fact, I will ask my wife (a real estate broker with Keller Williams in our local area) to do this, once we have several in place and we will be able to point to that as our starting point.  Have a great day and nice speaking with you the other day.

Rand Soellner AIA
    Home Architects
    Cashiers NC

• 11.  RE:CRAN Plaque

Posted 10-12-2012 07:51 AM
    Good ideas, Debra.  You, Dave and I will discuss this next Tuesday.  In the meanwhile, you are free to e-mail me at: Rand@HomeArchitects.com  .  Dave and I began some preliminary thoughts yesterday and you might want to get a copy of those interactions for your input.  All my best,

Rand Soellner AIA
    Home Architects
    Cashiers NC

• 12.  RE:CRAN Plaque

Posted 10-12-2012 09:20 AM
    Our first meeting is set for next Tuesday between Rand, Debra, myself, and Kathleen from AIA. We will update this board as we develop the concept.  A special thanks to Debra for pushing the concept, the CRAN Advisory Group for supporting the concept, the AIA for offering support, but most importantly this very discussion board for taking an idea and moving it forward.

This is your new AIA! An AIA that is molded by you, for you! 

Peace

David Andreozzi AIA
    Owner
    Andreozzi Architects
    Barrington RI

• 13.  RE:CRAN Plaque

Posted 10-15-2012 11:32 AM
    I agree with Eric's idea to work with brokers. At the same time if we approach it as us just wanting recognition, I don't think it'll get far.  But understanding the benefits it gives them and their clients could make it go somewhere.  The first roadblock, is there enough architect designed homes in any locale for it to even be worth a broker's effort?

Andrew Mikhael AIA
    Andrew Mikhael Architect
    Englewood NJ