Custom Residential Architects Network

• 1.  CRAN Project Database

Posted 10-08-2012 03:47 PM
    Rand / David:
    The website database is a terrific idea. Along with the architect information and basic building data, you may want to consider the following as well:
    1. Contact information for all of the engineers and consultants should there be questions regarding apsects or features of their respective work.
    2. Manufacturers and suppliers of key building components (doors, windows, hardware, appliances...).
    3. Maybe a list of colors and finishes in case any future Owners require some touch-up work, or want to restore our projects to their 'original glory'.
    4. Contact information for the contractor and all subcontractors.

If we are thinking of this as a revenue source to fund public education regarding the value of an architect, any of the above-mentioned parties could 'enhance' their listing in the database for a nomial fee. This would enable direct linking to their website or some other value-added, tastefully done feature.

I think this resource would quickly become the new 'gold standard' for archived information regarding all built structures. Now we are thinking like business people and adding tremendous value for our clients and the building industry! Great work guys!!

-------------------------------------------
    Randall Hamerly AIA
    R.A. Hamerly Architect
    Highland CA
    Jain us at AIA24 for practice-related sessions! June 5 to 8, Washington, DC, click here to learn more.

• 2.  RE:CRAN Project Database

Posted 10-08-2012 04:09 PM
    I love the idea of being able to add info, but only a minimum amount should be required... like our profiles above.  Lets make this as easy as possible.

This whole thing needs to be worked our with a real CRAN subcommittee... its more complicated than we are discussing. Aside from the plaque, there are other issues I thought about.  Shouldn't a client be able to register an old house without an active architectural firm.  FLW classic for instance because it was architect designed? Or are we excluding all non AIA members. What about past AIA members.  Who is going figure out if Joe Smith was active in 1966? This is a very good idea ....for sure, very complicated.

Dave

David Andreozzi AIA
    Owner
    Andreozzi Architects
    Barrington RI

Jain us at AIA24 for practice-related sessions! June 5 to 8, Washington, DC, click here to learn more.

• 3.  RE:CRAN Project Database

Posted 10-08-2012 04:37 PM
    Just so you know something is already out there...

Take a look at the Soloso (re-branded AKR a few years ago) Project Profile on AIA.org.
    Example: http://www.aia.org/akr/Resources/Projects/AIAB081255

Download this (dated) PowerPoint to see how any member can login and create a project profile.
    http://network.aia.org/ViewDocument/?DocumentKey=2d9193df-3b78-4862-81b1-456cbea31281

In order to get to the upload screen, you will have to login and go to this page.
    http://www.aia.org/akr/index.htm

*Warning: The infrastructure behind this element may be broken.*

Kathleen Simpson
    Manager, Knowledge Communities
    The American Institute of Architects
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE:CRAN Project Database

Posted 10-08-2012 04:47 PM
    All,
    These are great ideas.
    I was just wondering whether there would be any legal downsides to posting the info? If someone has more legal astuteness than I do, and would try to think of any, that would be a good thing to know moving forward. The idea of the architect name and a website for more info on all the mentioned aspects in these posts seems to has all upsides and no downsides. I appreciate the shared marketing knowledge.!
    Peter Brinckerhoff AIA, LEED AP
    President
    Brinckerhoff and Associates LLC
    Glenview IL