Custom Residential Architects Network

Expand all | Collapse all

Replacing a historic home destroyed by fire & insurance comapnies

• 1.  Replacing a historic home destroyed by fire & insurance comapnies

Posted 10-13-2014 02:20 PM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Small Project Practitioners and Custom Residential Architects Network .
    -------------------------------------------
    I was wondering if anyone has had experience with replacing a historic home destroyed by fire and the clients' homeowners' insurance company.  I have such a project where the  schematics were approved by my client and the Historic Preservation Commission in late August. The replacement house is a bit larger but configured differently from the original house. While my client signed a letter of agreement for schematic design, all invoices were paid by the insurance company.

My proposal for design development stopped forward progress since the insurance adjuster apparently  deemed my fee too high. He has yet to communicate directly with me.  Now, my client has some kind of an agent referred by her insurance agent who is attempting to negotiate a fee and architectural services with me. This agent, although not a licensed contractor, has told me that he will obtain permits and build the house and negotiate with the insurance company.

While it is an interesting project, I'm not sure who my client will be and who I will be providing with architectural services.
    I'd very much appreciate any advice.

Robert Reinhardt AIA
    sole proprietor
    Reinhardt Architects
    Garrett Park MD
    CRAN March AIAU Course

• 2.  RE: Replacing a historic home destroyed by fire & insurance comapnies

Posted 10-14-2014 05:38 PM
    I would be careful. I would think your contract needs to be with the homeowner. Especially if you have a limit of liability clause in your contract. The owner would not be bound by that if your contract is not with him. Likewise I think the homeowner should have the right to pick his own contractor. The owner might not have full replacement costs insurance which will give him a new house especially if it is larger. I have had some experience with this in the past and the owner has always had to pick up some of the cost. Good luck. 

John Stewart AIA
    Stewart Associates Architects
    San Carlos CA

CRAN March AIAU Course