Custom Residential Architects Network

• 1.  Thank you Houzz

Posted 08-26-2014 01:13 PM

With all of the angst that's been expressed about Houzz, I feel someone needs to give Houzz a shout-out. So thank-you Houzz for providing my clients with such a wonderful service! My clients see you as an invaluable tool to help them identify their likes and dislikes, and to communicate with their architect.

Yes, I'm a residential architect who is active with the AIA. I've also been kicked around in this forum for arguing that the term "Architect" needs to be better protected, or else it will soon become a generic term. However, I see the current frothing about Houzz's unwillingness to defend our profession as being misplaced.

Obviously, Houzz is a relatively new business model that is developing an understanding of its evolving market. CRAN is in active discussions with Houzz, and the two organizations are looking to see how they might best help each other. As an internet business, Houzz is given quite a bit of leeway in how it chooses to operate. However, as an architect, I certainly hope that Houzz will eventually show stronger support for our profession.

But regardless, I don't view Houzz as a business that is meant to promote my architectural practice, education anyone about my profession, or expand my client base. It would make no difference to me if Houzz decided to categorize my architectural practice as a decorating service. I simply view Houzz as an almost endless collection of images that helps me develop a quick and productive dialog with my clients.

And if I'm not mistaken, that is exactly why Houzz was first started - it's the electronic version of clipping out interesting newspaper and magazine images. These are the interesting images that in the pre-electronic era were also created by builders, decorators, designers, and even architects. Whether it was my past clients pulling clippings from a stuffed envelope, or my current clients flipping through their iPad, our conversations have always focused on design goals, not on what profession deserves credit.

Houzz, you're okay by me. My clients and I love you just the way you are. So thank-you.

-------------------------------------------
    John Black AIA
    Partner
    Lapis Design Partners LLC
    Honolulu HI
    CRAN March AIAU Course

• 2.  RE: Thank you Houzz

Posted 08-27-2014 06:37 PM
    I second that notion! Houzz has provided my clients and I an amazing resource that makes my job easier because it helps my clients express their wishes in the form of pictures. Most people have been completely misdirected and miseducated by the amateurism of the home building/ DYI/ HGTV industries. I've had clients ask for Tuscan style designs when they meant Tudor. Houzz makes it easier for everyone to communicate in terms of images. Even a monkey can point at the picture they like!

What we as a group need to wake up and realize is that we are a small minority in the home building industry. Designers represent the majority and likely always will. Out of ignorance, the lay person will not likely understand the difference between designers and Architects. They see us all preforming the same function like a Mercedes rolls down the road as does a Honda. It's our job to educate our prospective clients as to why our commitment to our trade means something, that a license means something, and that AIA means something. Builders, agents, and clients see the AIA after my name and it means something to them, but if I can't perform or my work isn't resonating, then AIA means nothing. At the end of the day, people just want to see you deliver the goods and a license doesn't do this by itself. We need to understand that we aren't automatically better. We have to prove ourselves like anyone else.

Houzz has posted articles on our behalf and so we complain about it not being enough? It embarrasses me when we act so ungrateful, so bitter, so over-the-top sensitive about not getting enough special treatment. It's not their job to promote us, just like it's not their job to promote designers either. I think our biggest problem is that we're typically terrible business people and we get very bitter when designers take up so much space in the market place, in part, by out maneuvering us as business people.

Eric Rawlings AIA
    Owner
    Rawlings Design, Inc.
    Decatur GA

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 3.  RE: Thank you Houzz

Posted 08-29-2014 12:12 PM
    I am in full agreement with the sentiments that Eric and John have expressed! Well said guys!

Houzz is not the whipping horse here, It was started by a couple who were embarking on remodeling their home and started to ask friends and colleagues to share images of homes and spaces that they liked as they, as a couple wrestled with what expression, design, ideas and needs they were looking to incorporate in their home. It literally grew from there.

I have a weekly radio show in Michigan that focuses on anything related to design that I feel is interesting, note-worthy or topical and I had the absolute pleasure of having the VP of Community and Marketing for Houzz, Liza Hausman, (perfect!) on the show earlier this year. I was able to get the story direct from the source. If you're interested, you can listen to a recoding of the show here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEalqE2Skp0&list=UUJEGsny27Kq37WGoMws6HNg

I then had the pleasure of meeting Liza in person at the 2014 AIA National Convention in Chicago a couple of months ago and we have built on our friendship since then.

For those who were not able to attend the Convention, you will have missed the very public and well publicized announcement of the joint marketing venture between AIA National and Houzz. Houzz is completely aware of our proud profession and the things we stand for. If you join Houzz as a "pro member", (as I have) you will have the AIA logo attached alongside your Houzz webpage.

For the record, since I signed up in May this year, we have received 3 new very nice remodel commissions from very sound, sophisticated clients who found our firm on Houzz. All of our residential clients love using Houzz and we encourage them to do so!

This Houzz phenomenon is about people sharing design ideas and seeking inspiration. Architects, home designers, interior designers, landscape architects, builders, re-modelers etc all have the opportunity to benefit from this explosive and powerful thing called Houzz and above all, Houzz is committed to making it possible for AIA members to distinguish themselves above others.

If you have the time to chase down imposter and wanna-be's, I fully applaud the effort. Truly! I choose at this time, to make the most of what Houzz and their team have to offer to us as professionals and represent our profession through the work we do and let that speak for itself.

I find our clients to be highly intelligent and discerning people who are very aware of what we as architects stand for, the standard of care we are held to and their decision to hire an architect is quite deliberate and does not come out of any confusion stemming from not understanding the difference between a plan designer and a licensed architect.  

Yours in design

Damian Farrell AIA

G. Damian Farrell AIA
    Principal
    Damian Farrell Design Group
    Ann Arbor MI

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 4.  RE: Thank you Houzz

Posted 09-01-2014 08:52 PM
    HOUZZ DEBATE
    I honestly don't think the substantial point here is to whip Houzz (although some posts may have gone that way),

DESIGN LEAD
    I think the real point here is that there has been a significant degrading of our profession in the past couple of decades by non-professionals that have marginalized our role in the construction of our built environment.  We are the ONLY ones that are properly trained, and that the states register to oversee this activity, yet we are getting pushed out of occupying the main project design role by business people who have no business doing this to our profession and taking over what we are trained to do.  Therefore, we should reveal instruments that make this problem worse, and negotiate with these people to improve the situation.

COLLABORATION
    I also endorse AIA's position that we must open up to being a collaborative profession, incorporating others' expertise into the project design process (such as cost estimating, and input from master craftsmen) - but don't mistake this for giving up our role as the design lead on the project.  We are the ones that are registered, and we worked hard for that!  There are lots of people out there that wish they were architects, haven't worked for such an honor, but will be quick to make it happen if they can and then be impressed with themselves afterwards because they got away with it.  

Adam Trott AIA
    Owner
    Adam J. Trott Architect
    Erie PA

CRAN March AIAU Course