Custom Residential Architects Network

Expand all | Collapse all

Huffington Post coverage of Housing Awards

• 1.  Huffington Post coverage of Housing Awards

Posted 04-17-2015 09:25 AM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Custom Residential Architects Network and Housing Knowledge Community .
    -------------------------------------------
    Hi all -

Passing along the first-ever coverage of the Housing Awards that ran on the Huffington Post Home section:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/16/most-beautiful-homes-2015_n_7079048.html?utm_hp_ref=huffpost-home&ir=HuffPost+Home

Please share via social media channels and pass along to anyone that you think might have an interest.

thanks!

Scott Frank
    Sr. Director, Media Relations
    The American Institute of Architects
    Washington DC
    Jain us at AIA24 for practice-related sessions! June 5 to 8, Washington, DC, click here to learn more.

• 2.  RE: Huffington Post coverage of Housing Awards

Posted 04-21-2015 02:05 PM

It saddens me that the AIA could award no winners in the Single Family Multi-Family Production Housing Category! I have to think that either there were few or no entries (Why bother?) or that the jury felt even the best examples in the country do not meet the avant-garde agenda of the AIA. It shows how completely out of touch the AIA is with (one of) the largest sectors of construction in the country! Surely there are examples of well designed production (spec) homes that show attention to detail and craft, while appealing to a main stream audience? Why could these not be sought out and promoted? And while the projects that did win awards display a high degree of design excellence, it is also sad that a more style diverse palette was not selected. This represents a HUGE missed opportunity to connect the profession with the public for the AIA!

Edward Shannon AIA
    Architect
    Imprint Architects
    Des Moines IA

Jain us at AIA24 for practice-related sessions! June 5 to 8, Washington, DC, click here to learn more.

• 3.  RE: Huffington Post coverage of Housing Awards

Posted 04-22-2015 08:24 PM
    Mr. Shannon,

As a member of the jury (representing CRAN), I appreciate hearing any and all critiques of the results of our deliberation. However, I believe it is rather presumptuous of you to conclude that the jury had an "avant-garde agenda". I'm curious to know how you came to this conclusion. Since it is in fact wrong. Most agree that cutting edge architecture receives a vast majority of coverage in the press. But it would be an error to blindly extend that preference to this jury.

For you to conclude that "the AIA is completely out of touch with (one of) the largest sectors of construction in the country!" is, in my view, unfair. The fact is, there were indeed very, very few Single Family Multi-Family Production Housing entries. If memory serves me correctly, there were less than five. And, I'm afraid those that did enter did not meet the standard of excellence. I can assure you the jury was very much style neutral and we too expressed concern there were not more entries that reflected a more subtle regional contextualism... in all of the categories. Our lengthy deliberations (amongst a varied group of jurors) were thoughtful, careful and measured. 

I don't disagree that "there are examples of well designed production (spec) homes that show attention to detail and craft, while appealing to a main stream audience". We simply did not see any in the submissions. The only way for these types of projects to "be sought out and promoted" is for architects to submit them!!!

A more style diverse palette was not selected because the projects submitted were not as diverse as we had hoped. Although I would like to suggest to you that the winning "Old Briar" house is far from being avant-garde, nor are the five cottages at Marlboro Music.

I agree that there is a missed opportunity to connect the profession with the public, but it seems unfair to me to lay the blame for that at the feet of the AIA, unless you qualify your statement by saying the AIA member architects. They are the ones that need to submit their work. Otherwise how can we ever consider it?

Jon Dick AIA
    Architect
    Archaeo Architects
    Santa Fe NM

• 4.  RE: Huffington Post coverage of Housing Awards

Posted 04-23-2015 07:57 PM
    Mr Jon Dick,
    I would like you to know that there are quite a number of AIA architects out there who don't take the trouble to submit their projects because whether you say the jury's are "Style neutral" or not the perception is that there is no point in sending our quality projects in to the AIA.  If the projects are not pushing the design boundaries, often at the expense of code compliance, then it doesn't matter how good it is, it will not receive AIA recognition. Quality never seems to matter as much as a a look that pushes the image of what people would like to live in. There are other programs that seem to reward good design even if it doesn't meet the criteria of being "different."

William Mammen AIA
    Mammen Associates Architecture
    Park City UT

• 5.  RE:Huffington Post coverage of Housing Awards

Posted 04-24-2015 10:19 PM
    As one of many residential Architects who also agree the AIA and publications popular with Architects have a rather narrow focus on what is considered "good" design, I also have observed that this "good" design is beloved by few. I personally like it. It's not that houses with unaffordable commercial grade components and materials are considered ugly by most, it's that these houses are simply unobtainable for starters, so the general public can't fall in love with something it can't have.

Many of these houses end up on home tours and people walk through them only to find very impractical and sometimes horrific arrangements of spaces and elements. Reinventing the wheel often results in something tolerated by the owner, but becomes a hinderance when it goes up for sale.

The obsession we still have with glass boxes often results in a disastrous building in terms of function. One proud homeowner of an AIA worthy glass box (aka solar furnace) complained to their builder about an $11,000 electric bill for just one summer month, Gee, you got a two story curtain wall "metaphor" facing south west, I'm not sure what the problem might be.

You can't rely on snarky bloggers to give you a proper sense of what is or isn't "good". When you can consistently design unique speculative houses of every type of style that always sell for top dollar and your builders earn a good profit to boot, then you can say you understand what people want. Our problem is that many of us frown upon spec houses as a legitimate design problem, thus we avoid the most difficult test when it comes to residential design.

Eric Rawlings AIA
    Owner
    Rawlings Design, Inc.
    Decatur GA

• 6.  RE: Huffington Post coverage of Housing Awards

Posted 04-23-2015 10:03 PM

Mr Dick:

In response to your letter posted yesterday as to why I have come to the conclusion that the AIA has an "Avant Garde Agenda?  Allow me to give you a few of my reasons.  My conclusions come from being an architect in the residential sector , serving mostly middle class, suburban clients.

• Every residential awards program I have seen connected with the AIA, in the past 20 years, has only award houses that can be termed as "Neo-Modern"  or in some case what I call "Nouveau  Rustic"  Most of these homes are in remote locations.  While I agree many of these homes have tremendous merit, they do not represent the wide range of what many hard working, talented architects are achieving.  This sends   a message to the public that says "If you hire an architect to design your house, this is what you will get  - something that doesn't look like a house!"  It sends many people running from architects to the nearest builder.
    • Years ago AIA had a publication geared toward residential clients called, I believe "Designing a House with an Architect"  It could have been a great publication to give to prospective clients, accept none of the house looked conventional - again No variety; No representation of the architecture profession.  I found it embarrassing to hand out to prospective clients , as I would end up defending my profession, saying, "don't worry, we're not going to deing you anything like that!
    •  

• A few years ago, an elaborate DVD was produced to help residential clients understand the design process of working with an architect.  Once again, the case study was a Euro-Box - something 98% of prospective homebuilding families would be put off by! 

• Years of Record Homes and their insistence to not be Style Neutral, but only recognize those homes that are avant-garde.  Another huge missed opportunity as this publication was available to the public in many bookstore and newsstands.

• A new petition circulating ASKING the AIA to "AIA and its publication Architect to more accurately represent the diversity and breadth of work by the members of the AIA."  I believe over 175 architects have signed.  Tho I am confident it could get at least 10,000 signatures if properly circulated!  Here is a link to the petition: 

https://www.change.org/p/american-institute-of-architects-we-the-undersigned-members-fellows-honorary-and-past-members-of-the-american-institute-of-architects-would-like-the-aia-and-its-publication-architect-to-more-accurately-represent-the-diversity-and-breadth-of-work-by-t?recruiter=216683451&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=share_email_responsive

• The efforts of groups like CORA (Congress or Residential Architects) and ArCH (Architects Creating Homes) .  These groups would never have had to be established if AIA was representing the profession accurately.

• The AIA's own CRAN - who vows to be Style Neutral.  While I applaud CRAN's "Style-Neutral" efforts,  I have seen little tangible evidence in both AIA publications and award programs. 

• Did you read the comments generated by readers of The Huffington Post?  The awards program got a lot of publicity.  There were over 100 comments.  I'm not going to repeat any here, but let's say they are overwhelmingly negative toward architects, "60's design" and the lack of variety represented! 

You state there were "Less than five" entered in production housing!  The AIA competition committee be asking: WHY?  I think I know why.  Why bother spending time and money entering good projects, when they will likely never be recognized!  The same goes for the lack of diversity in style!  Many talented architects who have diligently served their clients probably ask: "Why bother?"

Now, in case you think I am just a disgruntled architect who has sat on the sidelines most of my career, I will let you know that I was active in the AIA for over twenty years!  I served two terms on my chapter's board of directors.  I served on many committees.  IN fact, I chaired three of those committees:  Design Awards, Education, and Scholarship.  You see, I knew early on that architect's were fighting a battle.  And I thought EVERY architect should fight the fight!  But, I have come to realize that my hard efforts and money were really benefitting the bigger, more profitable firms, more so than the little guys, like me!

I have made the conclusion that the AIA just "doesn't get" residential design - or at least how it is practice by 85% of licensed architects out there.  So, I have ceased being a member.  As such, this will be my last post on this forum.  I really hope the AIA can come around.  I have given a lot to this organization, yet feel my efforts have been futile.  

Edward Shannon AIA
    Architect
    Imprint Architects
    Des Moines IA

• 7.  RE: Huffington Post coverage of Housing Awards

Posted 04-24-2015 02:25 AM
    Ed,

I really appreciate your comments here as they are not "outliers" and do reflect many of the same feelings that architects whom practice in the residential archetype have about the AIA. This is very unfortunate and to not recognize this situation would be blatantly rude and disrespectful. I am responding here not about the discourse you and Jon Dick are engaging in. I know Jon Dick personally and his heart and soul are completely rooted in making every effort to broaden awareness within and outside the AIA of what good architecture is. I am enjoying reading both your comments immensely. I feel you to care deeply about this situation based on many of your remarks.

However, my concern and effort to write this post is based on the hasty generalization in this comment:

"The AIA's own CRAN - who vows to be Style Neutral.  While I applaud CRAN's "Style-Neutral" efforts,  I have seen little tangible evidence in both AIA publications and award programs."

Ed, this is very vague and unfortunately I take umbrage with the disposition of your statement. To whom and what are you referring to regarding "tangible evidence". What are you really talking about here? Is your sole focus in this comment relating to design awards and juries and CRAN's impact on them within the AIA? Or, is there is broader underlying commentary here. If you are stating that CRAN's presence within the AIA has made no impact nor made any strides towards creating an environment within the AIA for the residential practitioner to find a home, than I would love to speak with you and educate you on what CRAN has done over the past eight years.

Yes, does CRAN want to help the Institute broaden its focus in the design competition you and Jon Dick are discussing - you bet! However, CRAN's focus has never been so singular in nature. In fact, its focus is based on three major goals within its mission statement: advocate, educate and support for the residential practitioner. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt here as perhaps you have not had the opportunity to engage with CRAN, its members and perhaps even attend one of the annual Symposiums we have had for the past eight years. I think you would find a cadre of individuals such as yourself, filled with passion yet concern about the future of the institute, looking for fellowship with other residential practitioners to share and exchange best practices and most importantly, finding such a group of architects within the Institute whom through their own bootstrapping efforts, have made enormous impact in a positive way.

Ed, I am asking that before you leave the AIA, come find out more about what CRAN is, where CRAN came from and where CRAN is going. I am not guaranteeing you anything here Ed, I know better than to force you to drink the water at the well. What I do know is that there are groups within the Institute that you can align yourself with and from your comments, CRAN might be one of them. We are an intensely inclusive group on multiple levels, not just design style. The reason I can vouch for CRAN is that for myself, it was the group within the Institute with whom I could really align with and find a home. My exposure to CRAN came in 2010 in Miami and then in Austin at the CRAN Symposium. I chose to allow the possibility that this group with its humble early beginnings could really make a difference. Man am I glad I chose hope over anger, frustration and resentment towards the Institute. I am very proud to tell you that I am now serving as the 2015 CRAN National Chair as I write this comment to you. So much of my professional development within and outside the profession has occurred by my involvement with this group of individuals. If you would have told me this was going to happen before 2010, I would have told you needed therapy.

I completely appreciate your twenty years of involvement with the Institute and thank you for your service. You may think it all went under-appreciated yet it really did not. You may think it only benefited the big guy yet it really did not. I, like you, am a "little guy". Yet, I refuse to allow the size of my Architect-led Design-Build Firm to limit my contributions and hope towards a better environment for the Residential Practitioner within the Institute. Sometimes you just have to go through too many trials and tribulations to finally see some light towards redirecting your faith for another round on the track. If I can help you in any way towards broadening your current periphery with what is available for you in the Institute with CRAN, please contact me at your convenience. If you do choose to leave the Institute, I wish you nothing but the best for the remainder of your architectural career.

Additionally, please know there are no special doors to get into CRAN, it is a simple aperture that is open 24/7.

Respectfully,

James A. Walbridge, AIA

James Walbridge AIA
    President
    Tekton Architecture
    San Francisco CA

• 8.  RE: Huffington Post coverage of Housing Awards

Posted 04-24-2015 02:10 PM
    Thank you James - I do appreciate the efforts you, Dave A and the others are making - and know they will be beneficial.  In response to your taking issue with my statement, I think the burden falls on you to show me some tangible evidence.  Because, from the past few CRAN sponsored design awards, I'm not seeing it!   I understand CRAN has produced a new coffee table book.  I have not seen it.  I hope it shows a diversity of residential styles.  And I hope it has some impact on steering people toward architects to design their homes.  Here In Iowa I have to compete with lumberyards and builders (all offering complementary design services) and unlicensed residential designers, who builders prefer to architects because they "don't mess with our designs"! Many wealthy patron's wishing to build homes have no idea they can hire an architect directly.  Most are simply pre-programmed to go to builders.  The builders like to act in the designer role and use the architect as their draftsperson!  So much for a formal design education.....  They often meet privately with "their" client and then privately with the architect - back and forth.  Talk about a compromised design process!  People think they only need to hire an architect if they want something avant-garde!  Has the CRAN awards and "Look Up" helped dispel this myth?  I think not!

Here's a suggestion for attracting more diverse entries to the CRAN design awards.  Create stylistic categories!  Have a press release and numerous ads explaining that you wish to overhaul the awards and truly express "the diversity and breadth by members of the AIA".  Then show the world something more than houses just for architects and poets!

I appreciate you encouraging me to come back to the AIA, however, I have simply come to the conclusion that AIA is just not a good fit for me.  In addition to what I wrote above, there are three other reasons for my departure, which I won't go into here.  Myself and some other residential architects are putting our efforts at creating a new professional organization, exclusively for licensed architects designing homes in the United States.  The organization is ArCH:  Architect Creating Homes  www.archomes.org  We know we have a steep mountain to climb, but we feel we can offer value at a more affordable price point for the small, residential architect.  For those who are skeptical,  fifteen years ago my boss and five other Chicago suburban architects founded the ALA - Association of Licensed Architects.  Myself and others on the AIA board thought they would flop.  They now have over 1,500 members in five states!  It can be done!

In sincerity, I wish all the best to CRAN!  Together, it is my hope that our organizations can make a difference in the lives of small firm architects and the quality of the built environment.

Best, ejs
    Edward Shannon AIA
    Architect
    Imprint Architects
    Des Moines IA

• 9.  RE: Huffington Post coverage of Housing Awards

Posted 04-27-2015 08:50 PM
    Ed,

Thanks again for your comments. I respect your views on this critical issue. I won't reiterate what James Walbridge wrote, since he covered much of what I was thinking, and did it in a much better way than I am capable of. I would only add that I am aware that your frustrations are legitimate and are shared by many. I'm sure you know you are also not unique in deciding to step away from the AIA. I can only tell you that there is clearly a movement afoot within the organization that is not going to accept the status quo. I believe it is led in part by CRAN and I, like James, am happy to say I've found a home there, because the overall focus is on small residential firms achieving a larger voice within AIA national. 

I accept your position that we need to show you tangible evidence. I'm realistic enough to know that it will take some time. I only wish we had you, and others like you who plan to leave, to be part of the infantry to fight the fight.

At the end of the day you might be right, that for the small practitioner's voice to be heard, several organizations may be necessary for the profession, such as your ArCH & ALA. I still think it best however that architects have a united front in one organization, even though I have experienced first hand the inequalities that have existed and, to some extent, remain. The reason I'm staying is to try and make a difference and I wouldn't be doing that if I felt my voice was alone and going unheard. I sense a sea change is coming due, in part, to CRAN and many others.

Again, in my experience in being on the jury for the national housing awards, I was pleasantly surprised to see how the jury as a whole was in fact actively not seeking out the avant-garde. Cutting edge was decidedly not the focus. It was simply excellent architecture in all of it manifestations.

So I do see signs that there will be changes. It won't be nearly fast enough for most of us. But I'm optimistic it will happen and I look forward to welcoming you back into the fold.

Sincerely, 

Jon Dick AIA
    Architect
    Archaeo Architects
    Santa Fe NM

• 10.  RE: Huffington Post coverage of Housing Awards

Posted 04-24-2015 05:43 PM
    AIA Members,

AWARDS PROGRAMS
    There seems a lot of consternation regarding awards programs and their relevance to the more common practice of Architects.

My practice is predominantly in the "common" realm.  Perhaps clarifying the intent of the awards programs is necessary.  If you request that projects representing the bulk of architecture work is individually worthy of an award, then where do you draw the line among the 100's of thousands of similar work?  My belief is that awards are supposed to recognize exemplary achievements.  Could we offer a reward for projects that seemed to transcend a pedestrian budget, or solved some common vexing problem in a particular building sector (middle class residential)? 

Thoughts?

Adam Trott AIA
    Owner
    Adam J. Trott Architect
    Erie PA