Custom Residential Architects Network

• 1.  ArchiCAD HELP! Keynotes

Posted 03-25-2015 07:53 PM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Custom Residential Architects Network and Committee on Design .
    -------------------------------------------
    I work for a custom home architect in Las Vegas and we are trying to streamline our design process. 
    We recently purchased Eric Barbaro's master template for ArchiCAD 17 and 18.

Right now, we create our keynotes by creating a table with lines and text boxes. . . INEFFICIENT!  Delete a keynote, and there goes 5 minutes of adjusting the table lines (repeat, repeat, repeat....)    
    Can anyone using ArchiCAD recommend a better way of doing keynotes? 

THE GOAL:  
    There are window/door schedules...How can we make a keynote schedule that automatically populates? 
    OR is there a way to create a word or excel file that you can link WITOUT creating PDFs? (Hate PDFs)

Any and all help is very much appreciated!!
    Jake Lara
    Intern
    Richard Luke Architects
    CRAN March AIAU Course

• 2.  RE: ArchiCAD HELP! Keynotes

Posted 03-26-2015 07:02 PM
    Hi Jake,

Older versions of ArchiCAD let you link a Word document directly; that feature went away many years ago.

Currently, I just set up my keynotes in Word and print PDFs that get linked to the appropriate layout(s). When the keynotes get edited, I obsessively make sure to print new PDFs and verify that they updated properly in ArchiCAD. While this is not the solution you want, it does allow easy spell checking and automatic numbering of the keynotes on the Word side; my projects are similar enough that it works pretty well to copy the notes from a previous project, change the job number and edit them for the current project.

I have tried setting up the keynotes in text boxes directly in ArchiCAD but since there isn't automatic numbering, that quickly gets tedious.

CadImage out of Australia has a keynote package that looks promising, but costs enough with annual updates that I haven't bought it.

Hope that helps,
    Paul Adams AIA
    Principal
    Earth And Sky Architecture
    Denver CO

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 3.  RE: ArchiCAD HELP! Keynotes

Posted 03-26-2015 08:03 PM
    You might look at MasterScript: http://www.masterscript.nl/epages/78066077.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/78066077/Products/52
    They have a trial version.

Generally, this forum is not the best place to get software-specific advice. Try ArchiCAD Talk. Or ask Eric Bobrow. www.bobrow.com.

Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
    Redwood City CA

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 4.  RE: ArchiCAD HELP! Keynotes

Posted 03-26-2015 08:19 PM
    There are definitely better ways to do keynotes in ArchiCAD. Cadimage has one solution. Masterscript has another. Plus there are various homebrew solutions that work well. Also depending on what you want to do, using the element ID and a smartly crafted schedule can produce much of what you want. In general, what I recommend is create the schedule you want by hand and then reverse engineer it to make it possible, ie-figure out the data you want/need then look at how ArchiCAD can provide it for you.

I recommend you ask the question again on the ArchiCAD LinkedIN group here:

https://www.linkedin.com/groups?groupDashboard=&gid=796267

And also on the ArchiCAD-talk forum here:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/

Jared Banks AIA
    Owner
    Shoegnome, LLC
    Seattle WA

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 5.  RE: ArchiCAD HELP! Keynotes

Posted 03-26-2015 08:21 PM
    Ha. Clearly I should have read the comments before posting mine! :) Oh well. Another route would be to look at using autotext found in the project information. For a limited scope of work, that would be viable.

Jared Banks AIA
    Owner
    Shoegnome, LLC
    Seattle WA

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 6.  RE: ArchiCAD HELP! Keynotes

Posted 03-27-2015 05:47 PM
    We just use standard floor plan notes and key the ones that apply. We have a general note that says not all notes maybe used. We don't do window and door schedules. We write the sizes on the plans and they are all shown in elevation. We have general notes to cover the things like egress windows, tempered, etc. In a similar way, we write the exterior materials on one elevation and don't use key notes. The contractors love it done this way. Old School is good for a reason. 

John Stewart AIA
    Stewart Associates Architects
    San Carlos CA

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 7.  RE:ArchiCAD HELP! Keynotes

Posted 03-30-2015 11:33 PM

We just switched to Archicad from Autocad. We are loving the software. Still lots to learn about about it and notes. Speaking if notes, I just bought a specifiction from
    ArCH.org. Very comprehensive and fully editable.The spec is written in Acad Lt but I have found it loaded into Archicad just fine as a wrod file.It's the best spec I have seen that addresses the Residential Architects practice.
    We too add notes to plans and have moved away from schedules to make the plans cleaner. Fewer places to hunt for imformation. Doors, windows and finshes are on the plan. Builder and trade partner freindly. Builders must be on board to implement the Architects instructions. Anything to steam line the number of sheets is a win win for the team.
    Donald Duffy ArCH, AIA, NCARB
    Don Duffy Architecture
    Charlotte NC

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 8.  RE: ArchiCAD HELP! Keynotes

Posted 03-31-2015 08:21 PM
    We don't use Archicad we use Revit but I think the programs are similar. 

John Stewart AIA
    Stewart Associates Architects
    San Carlos CA

CRAN March AIAU Course

• 9.  RE: ArchiCAD HELP! Keynotes

Posted 04-01-2015 09:29 AM
    I made a typo in the information  I referenced below.  The correct info is

http://www.archomes.org

http://www.archomes.org/product/archspec-architectural-residential-specifications
    My apologies.

Don

Donald Duffy AIA
    Don Duffy Architecture
    Charlotte NC

CRAN March AIAU Course