Custom Residential Architects Network

• 1.  Interview | Protecting The Value Of Architects

Posted 06-05-2014 04:16 PM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Housing Knowledge Community and Custom Residential Architects Network .
    -------------------------------------------
    Is hiring an architect really necessary for residential projects? Some would prefer not to, others want to but think they can't, and most think they don't need to. So, how can we architects help in educating the public and change the public perception of the "starchitect" architect and teach them the importance of hiring an architect?

An interview with me on Enoch Sear's The Business of Architecture discussing CRAN's development and growing relevance to Residential Architects in the AIA

Link here http://www.businessofarchitecture.com/business-of-architecture-podcast/protecting-the-value-architects/

David Andreozzi AIA
    Current CRAN Chairperson
    Jain us at AIA24 for practice-related sessions! June 5 to 8, Washington, DC, click here to learn more.

• 2.  RE: Interview | Protecting The Value Of Architects

Posted 06-06-2014 06:54 PM
    I seldom post on here but I do read all the comments. I guess you could say I'm a 'lurker'.

Just wanted to say it was great having you David on the Business of Architecture show.

I also wanted to invite others to come on the show and discuss your success (and failures) if you are so inclined.

Business of Architecture is a resource to help residential architects and small firm owners run a competitive, flexible and satisfying business.

Regards,

Enoch Sears AIA
    Architect
    founder BusinessofArchitecture.com

Jain us at AIA24 for practice-related sessions! June 5 to 8, Washington, DC, click here to learn more.

• 3.  RE: Interview | Protecting The Value Of Architects

Posted 06-06-2014 07:48 PM
    We are our own worst enemy. I've received a fair bit of criticism for my take on getting design services out to the general public and not just to the 1%er crowd that can afford full service fees. Not everyone needs our full list of services. Most just need the basic drawings required for permits. Providing limited scope services allows one to provide an affordable fee without lowering your worth. If I didn't provide limited scope services, then many of my clients would have hired a designer or builder instead.

I've had people on this thread tell me that CRAN is about custom houses and Spec Houses can't be custom. Only a house designed specifically for a homeowner can be considered custom. I disagree! A one of a kind Spec House designed specifically for the lot it sits on and the market area in which it resides is also custom. When we disqualify segments of the market place in order to make ourselves exclusive, we exclude ourselves. Most Architects get nauseous when they think of Spec Houses, but these buildings represent about 80% of all new houses being built. If we're not designing more Spec Houses, then just do the math folks. About 50% of my work is one of a kind, custom Spec Houses. They are never repeated. Most cookie cutter builders spend months getting variances to squeeze the same old design on every lot they come across. Not my builders. I have never sent a Spec Builder to a Variance Meeting. This saves them almost enough to pay my fee when it comes to paying the mortgage on an inactive job site.

I have at least 6 builders that come to me on a regular basis wanting custom designed Spec Houses. They want everything from Traditional to Modern. This need for an Architect did not exist in my area 10 years ago. Cookie cutting was the norm. Though it was a little painful getting traction over the years, I created a need for better Spec Houses and it turns out, there's a HUGE segment of the market place looking for unique Spec Houses that aren't cookie cutter boxes. Many people want to spend more on a nicer house, but don't have the time or money to engage in a custom design process. Because they didn't really exist in my area before, no one knew so many people would want them. Someone had to have the guts to put them out there.

Since homeowner commissioned houses DO NOT count as sales, they can't be used as Comps by the bank's appraiser, thus they DO NOT contribute to property values when determining loan values for your homeowner clients. My Spec Houses always sell for top dollar and this pushes up the appraisals for my homeowner clients. If you're not designing Spec Houses in your market areas, then your homeowner client's loan values are based on the sales of other "designers" work. And what kind of house is the only kind of house that can be considered a new sale, thus a Comp for your next homeowner's new house project? Yes, a SPEC HOUSE!

Designing a highly customized house for a homeowner can be an exciting experience, but it is not the only design problem to be solved. It's actually the rarest of all house design problems. After more than a decade of designing the Spec Houses that sell for top dollar, Realtors and Appraisers are having a hard time denying the mountain of sales data I've created. If more of us could do the same, we might be able to convince more appraisers that our involvement has real value that can be quantified and that not every 4 bedroom, 3 bath house in the same neighborhood is the same. I've had appraisers recently tell cookie cutter builders that they can't use my Spec House sales as Comps because they clearly aren't building the same thing. 

Eric Rawlings AIA
    Owner
    Rawlings Design, Inc.
    Decatur GA

• 4.  RE: Interview | Protecting The Value Of Architects

Posted 06-07-2014 12:43 PM
    I don't have a complete answer to this great question, but I have some seeds for thought:

1. I live in a home that I designed, in a neighborhood of "builder-burgers". It stands out--more than I expected. Almost everyone who comments on the house says something like, "The guy who lives in that house must be an architect," or, "That must be Sean's house because I know he's an architect." My point is that the results of architectural design frequently stand out. Structures appear more carefully planned and thoughtfully designed. Spaces tend to be neither too small nor too large. Elevation compositions and proportions tend to look more deliberate than accidental. Overall, the home appears to be designed to suit a particular family's lifestyle or to exemplify a particular aesthetic aspiration. So, the results tend to speak for themselves. Putting those results in front of prospective clients is the challenge.

Of course, this does not overcome the generally-held idea that hiring an architect to create those results is beyond the financial means of the middle-class, which leads to another idea:

2. During the years I spent pursuing the elusive middle-class residential client, I found that such clients were almost impossible to persuade to contract for the full slate of architectural services (pre-design studies, programming, site selection, etc; multi-scheme schematic design; full design development; complete design documentation; complete engineering; bidding/negotiation; construction administration; and close-out). However, I did find that many responded favorably to a reduced scope of services (concept sketches, minimal documentation for design/build with a trusted build partner and a couple of site visits to monitor progress and trouble-shoot).

3. Off-the-wall and off-the-cuff: What about a reality TV series following a licensed residential architect through his daily work?

Sean Catherall AIA
    Architect
    Salt Lake City UT

• 5.  RE: Interview | Protecting The Value Of Architects

Posted 06-10-2014 10:00 AM
    The earlier discussions here precisely identify the problem: an overwhelming majority of the homeowner population does not want to *pay* the perceived high fees for an architect to design or renovate their home. I see a few different ways to address this problem:
    1. Maintain fees and scope of services, but increase marketing. The goal here is to increase public awareness to the value of hiring the full scope of architectural services. This has been the AIA / CRAN's goal for awhile now, and it will probably yield the smallest increase of potential clients in one's area.
    2. Maintain scope of services and marketing, but reduce fees. This solution is probably the least desirable. It has the negative effect of devaluing architectural services. We have to assume that projects are still completed in the same timeline, but obviously for less total fees. Advantageous only if one's business is having difficulty obtaining full time work.
    3. Maintain fees and marketing, but reduce scope of services. I think a few posts already touched on this idea. This solution assumes most of the homeowner population doesn't need and/or want the full scope of services a residential architect can provide; or cannot afford the full scope of services. Project timelines are reduced here, so a larger quantity of work is needed to supplement the decrease in fees per project.

These solutions take the approach of looking at design services from a triangle: 'fees' / 'scope of services' / 'marketing.' Because each owner has different needs which should be uniquely addressed, a one-solution-fits-all strategy is not likely to be effective. We can also add the element of 'time' into the picture. If project timelines can be compressed, it may be a more viable solution to reduce fees (if needed to acquire work). This may be possible as one becomes more familiar with a geographic area, trends with owners, or even one's own work systems (software, for example). Since we don't want to devalue the architectural services, it would be important to analyze the amount by which fees should be reduced in order to obtain a greater amount of work.

Just my two cents.

Christopher Clark Assoc. AIA
    Architectural Intern
    Schaefer Johnson Cox Frey Architecture, Inc.
    Wichita KS

• 6.  RE: Interview | Protecting The Value Of Architects

Posted 06-12-2014 10:52 AM
    The problem is that many of us don't see Spec Houses as a valid design problem. Not only do Spec Houses represent about 80% of the new houses being built, they are by far the most numerous of ALL buildings being built in America. A Spec House is simply a home designed and built for an unknown buyer. It doesn't have to be a repetitious track home, a Mr Potato Head with interchangeable features, or an ugly box. I'm not the only Architect that has designed the unique, one of a kind Spec Houses that sell for top dollar. Each one is a unique design solution and my builders understand the importance of why a unique item is more desirable than a mass produced box.

If we can't recognize that most Americans simply can't afford to pay half their annual salary for an instruction manual, If we can't recognize that most Americans can't afford to pay rent and/or mortgage on a place to stay while also paying the mortgage on a construction site for 6-8 months, If we can't recognize that many people simply aren't interested in participating in a custom design process, then where does that leave us? If we as a profession can only solve design problems for the smallest group of people that don't fall into one of the groups I just mentioned, then do we really have to wonder why most people don't think of Architects when it comes to designing the buildings they live in?

Why can't we learn to solve the most common of design problems? Is it beneath us or are we simply afraid of failing? If you don't like the Spec Houses being built in your area, then figure out how to do a better job. Ignoring them isn't making them just go away. If you're not designing Spec Houses, you're missing out on 80% of the new house business.

Eric Rawlings AIA
    Owner
    Rawlings Design, Inc.
    Decatur GA

• 7.  RE: Interview | Protecting The Value Of Architects

Posted 06-16-2014 09:35 AM
    Eric, I think you nailed it here. There's a whole world of untapped potential out there for architects and designers. The way I see it, most architects do see a lot of work as beneath them, or simply fail to recognize value in certain markets. It's not uncommon for commercial architects to pass on small projects, only to later realize those small projects led another firm to a large contract with the same owner. I think a similar situation can be said of residential architects and spec houses. You have to make it valuable.

Christopher Clark Assoc. AIA
    Architectural Intern
    Schaefer Johnson Cox Frey Architecture, Inc.
    Wichita KS