Custom Residential Architects Network

• 1.  Masonry Paving Question

Posted 04-17-2014 11:09 AM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Housing Knowledge Community and Custom Residential Architects Network .
    -------------------------------------------
    My question: I have a residential client with a landing for an entryway that is exposed to the weather.  The surface is horizontal masonry random fieldstone on a poured concrete foundation forming the top step.  The edge at the step is brick masonry on end. I'm not sure if there is slab. The joints in the stone are fairly large because of the random shape of the stones. The surface has reasonably good pitch away from the home. 

The problem is that nearly all the stone has heaved up from water penetrating the joints and the freeze thaw cycles it has been exposed to over the years.  I would like to specify the proper mortar and general installation guidance for resetting the stone and re-grouting the joints.  Lastly, if there are any maintenance tips I can give the owner (like not using salt) that would be helpful. 

Thank you! 

Alexander Gotthelf AIA
    Mountain Lakes NJ
    CRAN March AIAU Course

• 2.  RE:Masonry Paving Question

Posted 04-21-2014 11:47 AM
    I can't answer your question myself but I will have to say that it is refreshing to have this kind of question asked in this forum rather than the many discussions concerning licensing and liability and copyrights, etc. We need to have more good informative technical discussions about how to be better architects not only in design (and we can certainly have great discussions on that as well) but also in detailing for better, higher quality and sustainable structures. 
    I am looking forward to hearing someone's informed answer!!

S. Jones AIA
    Owner
    S Berry Jones - Architects
    Memphis TN

CRAN March AIAU Course