Custom Residential Architects Network

Beyond Berlin, the unfairness of history

• 1.  Beyond Berlin, the unfairness of history

Posted 04-03-2014 07:08 PM
      |   view attached
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Custom Residential Architects Network and Committee on Design .
    -------------------------------------------
    Here is a building in Darmstadt by Hans Best. Built at the same time as the work in the Darmstadt Artists Colony, it is not a famous building nor is the architect very well known, despite a productive career throughout southwest Germany. I think the building is handsome, well proportioned and full of delicious details. Why isn't it on anyone's must see list? It does not have a clear enough ideological position. Maybe, it is a bit too inclusive, a bit too far ranging in its decorative effects, but I am not convinced. I think it falls off the screen because the historians cannot categorize it. Its an unfortunate culling committed by historians and the current architectural press regularly. There may be a rule that you have to be simple to be remembered. Or, maybe the question goes to the essential purpose of history. Mike Mense FAIA Owner mmenseArchitects Anchorage AK -------------------------------------------

Attachment(s)

pdf
    HansBest1.pdf   687 KB 1 version
    Jain us at AIA24 for practice-related sessions! June 5 to 8, Washington, DC, click here to learn more.