Custom Residential Architects Network

Beyond Berlin, Olbrich in Darmstadt, correction

• 1.  Beyond Berlin, Olbrich in Darmstadt, correction

Posted 04-01-2014 07:48 PM
      |   view attached
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Custom Residential Architects Network and Committee on Design .
    -------------------------------------------
    I apologize for the shuffling. I think I have finally learned how to do this without mucking up the system with duplicate posts. Hope so. Quoting from Wikipedia, "the Darmstadt Artist's Colony was founded in 1899 by Ernst Ludwig, Grand Duke of Hesse." The Grand Duke provided studio space and property on which many of the artists built homes on a hill in Darmstadt called Mathildenhohe. Among those who lived and worked at Mathildenhohe were Joseph Maria Olbrich and Peter Behrens. Much of the neighborhood exists today in excellent restored condition. The Ernst Ludwig House by Joseph Maria Olbrich, designed as a common studio for the gathered artists, was built in 1900. Olbrich also designed Wilhelm Dieters' house. Dieters was the manager of the colony. ------------------------------------------- Mike Mense FAIA Owner mmenseArchitects Anchorage AK -------------------------------------------

Attachment(s)

Jain us at AIA24 for practice-related sessions! June 5 to 8, Washington, DC, click here to learn more.