Custom Residential Architects Network

• 1.  Restoring CAD documents in obsolete file formats

Posted 03-11-2014 10:18 AM

Restoring CAD documents in obsolete file formats
    -------------------------------------------
    Mario Grigni AIA
    Greensboro NC

I recently was asked to consider an addition to a building I designed in the 80s.
    I found that the old AutoCad files are probably in various disks that I kept in storage.
    Some are in Bernoulli Box 10 MB disks. I still have the old Bernoulli Box but I have no idea if it can still be used.
    Some are in more recent disks but in this case the files are collected in kryptically named archives with extension ARC.
    I tried several programs available on the web to open arc files, but they all failed.
    I was able to open the few AutoCad files that were not compressed. But the visualization files, in format SLD are still unopened.

I am sure I am not the first one with problems restoring old digital files in obsolete formats.

Has anybody worked out resources directed at solving this problem?.
    Jain us at AIA24 for practice-related sessions! June 5 to 8, Washington, DC, click here to learn more.

• 2.  RE:Restoring CAD documents in obsolete file formats

Posted 03-12-2014 05:34 PM
    For the ARC files try "EF Commander" from http://www.efsoftware.com/

David Edrington AIA
    David Edrington, Architect
    Eugene OR

Jain us at AIA24 for practice-related sessions! June 5 to 8, Washington, DC, click here to learn more.

• 3.  RE:Restoring CAD documents in obsolete file formats

Posted 03-12-2014 05:40 PM
    You can buy freestanding Bernoulli Boxes on Ebay.  You can probably download the software from IOmega and look for a USB to SCSI adapter or cable on Ebay. 

David Edrington AIA
    David Edrington, Architect
    Eugene OR

• 4.  RE:Restoring CAD documents in obsolete file formats

Posted 03-12-2014 06:58 PM
    There are firms which provide file retrieval services from old media, including Bernoulli boxes. You can find the online and ship your disks to them. They can also retrieve/ translate old file formats. ------------------------------------------- Maurice White Architect W Designs LLC Miami FL -------------------------------------------