Committee on Design

• 1.  ? for HR in Architecture Co's. From graduating UW Student

Posted 07-09-2014 01:06 AM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: Committee on Design and Custom Residential Architects Network .
    -------------------------------------------
    I have a question for human resources in architecture companies!
    I will be moving to Las Vegas to attend UNLV for my bachelors in Architecture; after having completed my bachelors in Business Administration from the University of Wyoming (Dec 14).
    My goal would be to find a good internship at an architecture company as I earn my degree at UNLV.  My question is if the average firm desires their new hire to have a masters in architecture, or if a bachelors would be sufficient given internship experience and business administration degree earned. 

I appreciate your feedback!  As 5+ year college student with a guaranteed 4 more years of school, It will be good to know when I can expect to be out of college living my dream of designing buildings and homes.  

Jake Lara
    University of Wyoming
    Laramie WY
    jlara2@uwyo.edu
    24.06.07 CODAIA24

• 2.  RE: ? for HR in Architecture Co's. From graduating UW Student

Posted 07-10-2014 06:19 PM
    Jake,
    I did what you're considering, and in most respects a BArch is equivalent to an MArch. Some prefer one over the other based on the perception that the BArch tends to promote technical competency while the MArch prefers proficiency in theory - that it's more cerebral and less about "problem solving." Whichever you decide, first, make sure you're committed to the work to earn the degree (and the cost) and to a career in architecture. The time and money commitments to either degree are the same (so why not go for the MArch?). Recognize that your classmates in a BArch program will tend to be younger (at most programs) and you might have more in common with MArch colleagues. It looks like you're on the hook for out-of-state tuition either way, so research programs - and by that, I mean visit them and meet with admissions staff, faculty and students - and find the best fit for you.
    Good luck.

Thomas Howorth FAIA
    Principal Architect
    Howorth & Associates Architects
    Oxford MS

24.06.07 CODAIA24