Committee on Design

Expand all | Collapse all

Going to Spain

• 1.  Going to Spain

Posted 07-16-2012 10:53 AM
    Yes. Spain in the fall. The Committee on Design still believes in continuing education about design. Our knowledge of design accomplishments and issues worldwide has helped American architects maintain their leadership, with worldwide commissions.
     (And COD's spring conference was in Columbus, Indiana -- named, incidentally, for someone whose exploits were supported by Spain.)

-------------------------------------------
    John Dixon FAIA
    Editor + Consultant
    Old Greenwich CT
    2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 2.  Seriously?

Posted 07-14-2012 12:33 PM
    Let me get this straight: The economy is still in the toilet; thousands of architects are still out of work; those who still have jobs are dealing with reduced fees and reduced salaries; and the AMERICAN Institute of Architects Committee on Design is holding its fall conference in SPAIN? Was this Ralph Lauren's idea?

Sean Catherall, AIA
    Herriman UT
    2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 3.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-16-2012 09:15 AM
    Approaching month #4 unemployed, I was hunting for an architecture job (not the pireted IT moniker) when your message caught my eye......Sean, you said it.

William Weber AIA, ACHA, NCARB
    Project Manager
    Akron OH

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 4.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-17-2012 11:54 AM
    I am unemployed so I have some sensitivity to the concerns  being expressed about a conference  being held in Spain, BUT.....

The Design Committee has  already conducted a conference  in Columbus Indiana this  year,  it CANNOT get any more AMERICAN than that.   And let's be  honest, for the unfortunately large segment  of the architectural community that is either  unemployed or  under employed, will they go to any  conference unless it  happens to be in their hometown or within easy driving distance? 

So who's going to be satisfied by that  solution?!  Please, have a little  perspective. We all still need to be citizens  of the world, never more so than in a  global economy.  There are ways to share this experience vicariously, and while not nearly as satisfying, it can still have its rewards.   

It's an unhealthy and self-defeating attitude to take to turn inward and  ignore the rest of the world, regardless of one's personal circumstances. Unfortunately it seems to be symptomatic of the majority of responses to our economic difficulties.  It's not  going to solve  our problems, going  from  a can do country to  a can't do one, BUT, I digress.....

Eugene Ely AIA, LEED AP
    Architect in Waiting
    San Jose, CA

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 5.  Seriously?

Posted 07-17-2012 05:19 PM
    I am the current chair of the Committee on Design, that bastion of elitist consumers of AIA resources, not!

I have been in private practice in Anchorage, Alaska for over 30 years.  I did not go to school in Boston, Philly or LA (in fact, I didn't even go to NC State).  My practice collapsed in early 2008 and has recovered only a bit since.  No way can you stick that elitist, big office, rich guy tag on me.  Architects who attend COD events are demographically very similar to the over-all AIA demographic.  The majority of our attendees come from small firms.  Our volunteer leadership presently includes architects from Omaha, Indianapolis, Phoenix, Anchorage, Las Vegas, Seattle, Boston and Centerbrook, Connecticut.  

I love architecture and I choose to spend my vacations working for the AIA.  In the last year (remember, I am from Anchorage), in preparation for our two conferences, I have visited both Columbus, Indiana and Spain twice entirely at my own expense.  I, like every other member of our leadership, always pay full price for all of our events.  I can assure you that we do not spend your dues.  And, if you go to www.AIA.org/cod, you can access much that we have gathered and learned over time on these trips.  Its free. 

Finally, if you have ideas about making the discoveries of our trips more accessible to every member of the AIA, please send them to me.  We have been trying hard to share with everyone but we know we could do better and are happy to receive and try valuable, new ideas.

Mike Mense FAIA
    2012 Chair AIA Committee on Design
    Owner
    mmenseArchitects
    Anchorage AK
    2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 6.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-18-2012 11:32 AM
    Mike, I don't know who you're responding to, but I never claimed that the COD is consuming Institute resources. Nor did I ever claim that COD leadership or COD participants are part of large firms.

I think my suggestions for making COD learning are both obvious and repetitive, but I'll repeat them:
    1. Hold educational events in affordable places, such as within the U.S.
    2. Consider focused webinar series in lieu of a physical meetings. Not only are webinars far more cost-efficient, they are also far more time- and energy-efficient.

Yes, these things are sometimes done; I'd like to see them done more, tending toward always. What's the point of spending my last dollar on AIA dues and then not be able to afford to participate in AIA events? This is one of the things that discourages people from belonging to AIA and some of its KC's.

Sean Catherall, AIA
    Herriman UT

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 7.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-18-2012 02:02 PM
    Sean I appreciate your suggestions. We provided events in Columbus, Indiana and Washington, DC this year. Next year, we will be in Palm springs and Denver. Hope to meet with you at one of those events. We created a movie last year that you can watch on our website. We are doing the same this year. We have created a number of architectural must see guides. Please check them out next time you are traveling. COD, long before I arrived, has always seen one of it's functions as a sort of architectural fact checker. You can't do that based on photographs. We will look at webinars more carefully. Again, thanks for being engaged. Mike ------------------------------------------- Mike Mense FAIA Owner mmenseArchitects Anchorage AK -------------------------------------------
    2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 8.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-18-2012 08:33 PM
    Instead of arguing with the complainants, just listen, for a change. Don't attempt to justify your actions. Just listen.

It's not just the extravagance of this trip that is irritating. It is the recent, the last five years anyway, AIA infatuation with anything that is not American. Why do we see this sorry attitude coming from the AIA? Have we forgotten what the first 'A' represents? Have we decided to fall lockstep in with the POTUS and denigrate anything American?

To present overseas projects in the organization's primary organ, complete with unsafe designs, is to give tacit approval to such designs, especially when there is no criticism of the foibles.

Charles Graham AIA
    Architect
    O'Neal, Inc.
    Greenville SC

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 9.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-19-2012 10:08 AM
    I've participated in the COD for over 10 years and I'm not a large, wealthy firm owner. My first COD conference was in Cincinnati. The last I attended was in Houston. When times are better, I'm able to go to an international conference. When times are worse, I attend the US events. All have been enormously helpful to my practice. The COD visits buildings in an organized way that allows you to get beyond the pretty pictures in the media. There is no better way to judge a building that to experience it. Is it truly a good design? Does it function well? How are the materials holding up? Do people respond positively to it? Many times the users and owners participate, so you get their opinions a few years after they've lived with the building. Sometimes the buildings live up to their reputations, sometimes not.

Another benefit is the networking opportunities with other architects from around the nation facing similar challenges in practice. Most of us don't share our problems with other local architects. After all, they're our competitors as well as our colleagues. But when you're speaking to an architect with an office across the country, you can be much more frank about your practice.

I encourage you to attend one of the US conferences to get a taste. It's a great way to widen our focus beyond our day-to-day businesses.

Steve Davis AIA
    Canizaro Cawthon Davis
    Jackson MS

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 10.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-20-2012 05:47 AM
    When i first became a member of the AIA as an International (5years ago) i did not see the 'A' as american but as a first class organisation with immense capacities and contributions to architecture not just in america but to the world!
      followed its course throughout these years ,mostly over the internet, and it became a kind of support and a source of undeniable knowledge  for a 'young' architect like myself. In a time were recession deprived me of a job with lets face it more of those 'door schedules please...' ridiculous or non existing salary and were mentoring is as scarce as petrol these days, the dream of participating in an architectural conference anywhere in the world helps immensly.
    I may have not yet had the opportunity to come to america for one but every chance i get, i travel to Europe and constantly get reminded why i love architecture old and new.

Charles, you are right a trip to this years COD in spain seems extravagant, even i cannot afford it and i am closer than you...but someone will go and will greatly benefit from this and hopefully they will in return give something back to those that can't...and one day you will go to one that others can't and you will benefit from that and hopefully you will give something back and so on.....
    Architecture should be for everyone and not just for the few (who can afford it) but we can't all get the same 'amount', so it is important to keep working, interacting, communicating, dreaming! Especially in difficult economic time such as this. From far away Scotland i wish you all the best in your future endeavours!

Eva Krissilia Intl. Assoc. AIA
    Architect
    Aedas Architects Ltd
    Edinburgh

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 11.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-22-2012 02:15 PM

Eva, 

Thank you for your note.  As one of the many volunteers that makes COD a possibility, I appreciate your thoughts.  We strive to communicate to a wide audience, though I have to admit, as volunteers with day jobs, we are not as thorough as we would like to be. As the COD Communication Director, I am trying to add more to our website and via social media to pass on what we learn through our conferences and convention events.  To date, we have added blog posts about our events, a Pinterest site illustrating the places we visit, videos, slide shows, podcasts and real-time conversations.

I find there is no substitute to visiting a building with the architect and client to obtain an understanding of the project and its context, in addition to what I gain from other attendees' insights.   The conferences inspire the imagination with new design ideas, aid in resolving design problems with current projects, and, I believe, have benefitted me in winning commissions. Moreover, COD conferences offer the chance to meet and befriend design peers like no other conference I've attended--a dividend beyond price.

While the COD conferences are open to anyone, I recognize the opportunity to attend is not always possible due to lack of time and money.  As we recognize the value of COD, we strive to extend that to others.  The COD was able to sponsor two Knowledge Scholars to attend and report on our conference in Columbus, Indiana through private donations. We hope to continue those scholarships for future COD conferences. Please keep in touch as we announce our deadline for submissions to apply for the scholarships to Spain in the fall.

Thanks for your thoughts.  Your outlook is inspiring; keep going! 

Best,
    Jim Childress

Jim Childress FAIA
    FAIA
    Centerbrook Architects & Planners
    Centerbrook CT

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 12.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-19-2012 10:17 PM
    Charles
    for some reason the attach button doesn't show up on my computer when I try to send a message only to you
    so I am afraid everyone is going to have to put up with receiving this attachment.  Hope you recognize at something you might have written.
    Mike

Mike Mense FAIA
    Owner
    mmenseArchitects
    Anchorage AK

Attachment(s)

pdf
    handout051312.pdf   807 KB 1 version
    pdf
    statement of intent.pdf   111 KB 1 version
    2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 13.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-20-2012 10:22 AM
    Mr. Graham, You admonish us to listen. You would do well to take a healthy dose of your own advice. Architect, heal thyself. You are not doing yourself any favors. ------------------------------------------- Eugene Ely AIA, LEED AP Architect in Waiting San Jose, CA -------------------------------------------
    2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 14.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-18-2012 08:20 PM
    Complaining about AIA trips overseas: "It's not  going to solve  our problems, ..."

So, please tell us exactly how going to Spain is going to solve anything. Isn't Spain about to go belly up? Is there a morbid curiousity about that event?

Charles Graham AIA
    Architect
    O'Neal, Inc.
    Greenville SC

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 15.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-19-2012 11:03 AM
    For Charles Maybe we should set up a competition to design a method of answering questions and confirming listeningness without communicating. You are right, though, a COD Conference is probably not going to solve our problems, even if it happened in Greenville, SC. But, what might you learn at the 2012 COD fall conference? about the future of solar energy at one of the most advanced research facilities in the world about the characteristics of an urban environment designed for people rather than vehicles about architecture created before architecture became fashion about a different professional and educational system that might give you some hints about how to fix those aspects of architectural practice with which you seem dissatisfied Are you saying that, because The Alhambra, The Grand Mosque, The Alcazar in Seville, and Casa de Retiro, among many others, are not on the North American continent; they have nothing to teach us? Are you saying that seeing slides in an architectural history course tells you all you need to know about these facilities? Finally, Charles, I am going to send you our mission statement for 2012. I think you will be surprised how it seems to have been written by you. You will be sorry that you have missed all of it until the last few days. I am sorry too. Another issue with which we have been struggling -- how to make sure architects like you receive our messages. ------------------------------------------- Mike Mense FAIA Owner mmenseArchitects Anchorage AK -------------------------------------------
    2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 16.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-20-2012 07:43 PM
    Thanks for proving my point: NOT listening.

Charles Graham AIA
    Architect
    O'Neal, Inc.
    Greenville SC

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 17.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-20-2012 10:37 PM
    Charles, we want to listen.  What do you have to say?

Mike Mense FAIA
    Owner
    mmenseArchitects
    Anchorage AK

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 18.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-16-2012 09:48 AM

Walter Hainsfurther FAIA
    Kurtz Associates Architects
    Des Plaines IL

Sean:

If you dove a little deeper you would see that this program is managed and guaranteed by an outside tour operator.  It is not funded by the AIA, rather the COD is the sponsoring group.  There is no cost either monetary or personnel to the Institute, nor is their any risk.

If a group of members have the ability and the desire to take a tour of Spain and they AIA can facilitate that, then so be it.  As long as it doesn't divert assets or focus from te Institute's mission I have no issue with it.

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 19.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-16-2012 10:11 AM
    If an outside group is responsible for it, why is it called the AIA COD Fall Conference? How about making these conferences more inclusive and less elitist? Perhaps that would serve the interests of the members and the mission of the Insititute and its knowledge communities better.

But if the mentality is "Let them eat cake!" then it makes perfect sense.

Sean Catherall, AIA
    Herriman UT

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 20.  Venting

Posted 07-16-2012 10:54 AM
    I love it Sean. You noticed what I so often consider the elitist attention of our professional association; our only available professional association. It attends to the larger firm with the more "noticed" architects. That's because there are more dollars there; particularly when you look at the many levels of membership that they can invoice!

I was just reading the recent submissions on the small practice page concerning BIM in small firms, and it amazes me the "hands off" support we get from the AIA when things like that need more clarification in the smaller practices. I for one have been on the boards for 45 years, and I would love to become proficient with a software practice. But that is hard when I need to be on the board and at the same time becoming familiar with a software package. But I am getting there - with no help from the AIA, and Autodesk willing to coach me - out of any dollars I have left.   

What needs to be kept in mind now is there are going to be more smaller firms created by individuals who have lost their positions in larger firms and are now practicing their trade with a hope of continuing to pay bills, one of which might not be AIA and all of the other levels of AIA that show up with their hands out.

This might be my last year - there are too many other effective ways to "connect" no matter how you need to connect.    

George Jennings AIA
    G Booker 3
    Tappahannock VA
    2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 21.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-16-2012 07:07 PM
    Sean, I predict that your days in the AIA are short. Because you think like a businessman, the AIA prefers not to hear from you. When I write to various members of the leadership about similar issues I am either ignored or virtually being accused of being ignorant.

That being said, I wonder who it is in the AIA who has such an infatuation with anything foreign? Are there no reasonble venues in the USA, home of the AIA? Why is the AIA so intent on spedning our travel money offshore, when there are so many business here in the USA needing the business?

Who owns this organization, anyhow?

Charles Graham AIA
    Architect
    O'Neal, Inc.
    Greenville SC

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 22.  RE:Seriously?

Posted 07-17-2012 07:55 AM
    Do you know the best part of these junkets for the few who can afford to go? Instead of having to attend a series of boring lunch and learns or day long training sessions, attendees are able to satisfy most of their "continuing education" requirements for a given year by going on one of this trips. ------------------------------------------- Gregory Howe AIA Architect Searl Lamaster Howe Architects Chicago IL -------------------------------------------
    2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 23.  RE: Seriously?

Posted 07-19-2012 08:37 PM
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussion Forums: 2013 NAAB Accreditation Review Conference ARC Preparation and Committee on Design .

What I find promising is that architects want to learn. I applaud the planned COD conference in Spain for its addition to knowledge and exposure to the awesome history of architecture. It will be an addition to core knowledge whose content has been a continuing source of debate during my lifetime; but only if it can be broadly disseminated.

Brian Szymanic formed the 2013 NAAB Accreditation Conference (ARC) Preparation Committee to discuss the issueof education. He has now added a questionnaire. You may be interested in joining this committee to review the material. It has received little attention, but core knowledge is the foundation for credibility and demand. Its content represents one of those questions that determine direction with ideas and answers generated from information, knowledge and logic. We call the process design but often overlook improvements to its foundation.

Walter Hosack
    Author
    Walter M. Hosack
    Dublin OH
    2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 24.  RE:Going to Spain

Posted 07-17-2012 01:43 AM
    So, are yoiu proposing that we adopt practices from over seas that we have seen on far too  many AIA publication covers? Such practices as designing 18" wide stairs without handrails or guard rails and extending more than 12 feet? Or what about desiging houses with 15 foot deep pits on all sides, with no fall protection? Do you really believe such foolishness is worth learning?

Charles Graham AIA
    Architect
    O'Neal, Inc.
    Greenville SC

2024 HRC Taliesin West

• 25.  RE:Going to Spain

Posted 07-17-2012 11:11 AM
    Continuing education isn't continuous when it's inaccessible. And it isn't education when it's out of touch.

Sean Catherall, AIA
    Herriman UT

2024 HRC Taliesin West