Academy of Architecture for Health

• 1.  Lean Healthcare Certification

Posted 04-07-2015 06:00 PM
    As a healthcare planning I am currently looking for a Lean Healthcare Certification. There are a lot of programs and providers to choose from. Any suggestions?

-------------------------------------------
    Scott Schweiger AIA
    Forum Studio, Inc.
    St. Louis  MO

• 2.  RE: Lean Healthcare Certification

Posted 04-08-2015 05:34 PM
    Scott

I completed my lean six sigma black belt this year.  I was very pleased with the programs at Villanova.  Bit of a long haul.  32 weeks

John Currie FAIA
    Baskervill & Son, P.C.
    Leesburg VA

• 3.  RE: Lean Healthcare Certification

Posted 04-08-2015 05:36 PM
    Please check with the American College of Healthcare Architects for certification as a healthcare architect. ------------------------------------------- John Rogers FAIA, ACHA Corporate Architect Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center MLC 8000 Cincinnati OH -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Lean Healthcare Certification

Posted 04-08-2015 05:47 PM
    Hi Scott,

I would recommend the ASQ Certified Six-Sigma Black Belt as the most recognized (http://asq.org/cert/six-sigma-black-belt). Although not healthcare specific, most of the methods contained within the Body of Knowledge (BoK) are engineering and design specific and applicable to improving quality and safety in the healthcare setting.  A couple of things to know beforehand:

1.) Eligibility for sitting for the test requires one or two (depending on your years of experience) Six-Sigma project affidavits signed by the project champion demonstrating predicted improvement results. These can be EOC design related.  Mine was.
    2.) You should have a good working knowledge of basic undergraduate level statistics.  If you don't already have this I'd recommend an introductory course at a bachelors degree level.  The test requires you to be able to calculate things like Chi Square and ANOVA using just a calculator so comfort level is key.
    3.) If you have a good and active working knowledge of Lean and Six-Sigma plan for at minimum 3 mos. of focused study.  If not plan for 6 mos to a year.  The passing rate is only 75% and underestimation of degree of difficulty is one of the top reasons people do not pass.

I know it may sound daunting, but when I was making the decision to become certified I needed to ensure that I was selecting one that was in no danger of having its reputability questioned and would be internationally accepted as valid.  This particular certification achieved both those criteria.

I hope this helps and best of luck to you!     

Lisa Platt, MS, CSSBB, EDAC, LEED AP BD+C
    Director of Business & Product Development
    Planetree, Inc.
    Nashville TN

• 5.  RE: Lean Healthcare Certification

Posted 04-08-2015 06:04 PM
    I don't have any suggestions for you but I'll be eager to see any recommendations you get. That is a very important topic.

Catherine Alberte AIA
    Senior Associate
    Perkins Eastman
    Ossining NY

• 6.  RE: Lean Healthcare Certification

Posted 04-09-2015 02:18 AM

Highly recommend the Villanova program. Took the LEAN Six Sigma Black Belt course four years ago. Online lecture once a week, great downloads to read and do the week before it. Great published resources. They want you to succeed, and still most don't. It is very healthcare focused, and your project should be the healthcare option.  Do not ever, and I mean ever, fall behind!  It is a full semester college course and you come out with a certificate. ASQ and/or CSSBB certification is certainly up to you, but in my experience and opinion, no architecture client is going to pay you for having that certification, or even consider paying you to provided those detailed services. I've never even had a client ask........32 years and counting........

Emil Slavik AIA
    Director - Advisory Services
    ADAMS Management Services
    Powell OH

• 7.  RE: Lean Healthcare Certification

Posted 04-09-2015 06:08 PM
    Should one focus on just Lean certification or is the Six Sigma just as important? I am an architect, not a accountant/MBA....

Scott Schweiger AIA
    Forum Studio, Inc.
    Saint Louis MO